Please help DIY Led Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Stkef9

Hey guys hoping I can get some answers here as this will be my first DIY led build. So the plan Im working on is a little zoa tank to compliment some of my nicer Zoas and free up some room in the 75. Got a Fluval Spec V. Here is a list of what I have so far for the LED build. And later where Im thinking I went wrong.

-6" MakersLED Designer Heatsink
-(2) Meanwell ELN-60-48D Dimmable Drivers
- (2) Power cords for drivers
- Power supply for fan
- MakersLED Dimming Bar
LEDs
- (4) Cree XT-E Royal Blues 1500mA max
- (2) Violet UV 700mA max
- (2) Cree XML Neutral Whites 3000mA max will run 700-1000mA
- (2) Ocean Coral White 3 leds per star Cyan, Red, Blue 500mA max

So the plan was to put the NW and OCW on one driver, and RB and UV on the other driver, now comes my problem. Rapid LED states you cannot run fewer than 8 LEDs on that particular driver. So problem 1 is Driver 1 (NW, OCW) there are 8 total LEDs counting each on the OCW star, so driver 2 there are only 6 LEDs, so one option get a Total spectrum UV which if I read right contains 4 separate LEDs on one star and just run 1 on that driver.
Problem number 2 which might not be a problem Running the NW and OCW on the same driver I feel that the NW would be robbed of any and all power only running at 500mA. Any LED gurus out there that could give me some good advice its greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Hey, saw your thread and just wanted to give my two cents...hope it helps. IMO, you might be overkilling the build with two separate drivers. I have one Meanwell driver able to power 10 leds and with so much current to dispose, you run the risk of overloading and blowing an led. I understand that you want to be able to have them dim, but might want to consider different driver options. Here is a link to Rapidled's nano-driver that is made for 3-10 leds

http://www.rapidled.com/0-10v-dimmable-nano-driver/

This will probably be a better option that your "overkill" Meanwells. I bought 90 percent of my build from Rapid and their stuff works great. Here is a link to my build:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/66092-My-40-breeder-led-light-build?highlight=

Hope it helps...

I agree with you on those being overkill but I got those because they were 2$ more and was thinking I could run them at 700mA without putting much stress on the driver. Where as the nano ones would be maxed out on one driver. I also wanted to be able to adjust blues and whites to my liking. Since the selection of leds are 500mA at the low end and 1500+ at the high end. I've been looking into a few other options for dimming too like the dim4. And the ocean coral whites have 3 leds per star so I have a total led count of 14 leds. Which is also overkill for the tank again why I went dimmable.
Any thoughts on that? Thanks for your input I'll check out your build thread. The rest of my stuff will be here today but looks like I'll be waiting till I figure out a solid plan.

Back