Please help ID what is this coming out of the middle of my Zoas?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
I just noticed this tonight in the middle of the newer zoa rock I got form a nano can someone please tell me what it is? Sorry for the blurry pic have not gotten real good with closeups yet

*merged the two threads into this one.

Looks like aiptasia to me.

Aptasia for sure.
It is something you do want to remove asap.
What ever method Joes Juice, kalk paste boiling water lemon juice, etc., do it soon because the aptasia will start killing the closest polyps. Sometimes this will lead to losing the whole colony.

thanks for the responses whihc method willl least likely kill the zoas as well this is what I get for putting something from another tank into mine... It was not noticable when I first got the rock.

thanks for the responses whihc method willl least likely kill the zoas as well this is what I get for putting something from another tank into mine... It was not noticable when I first got the rock.

They have a habit of popping up everywhere, it is just the price you pay for adding new stuff to your tank.

Some people like to use lemon juice or boiling water and inject it into the aptasia, but you need a good syringe with a small tip needle (#25?).

I use a product called Joes Juice. Works very well if you follow the directions.
Kaulk paste works well too.

I'll shut off all flow in the tank and put a small drop of Joes Juice or kalk paste only on the aptasia and let it sit for a good 15 minutes.
You may lose a polyp or 2, but if you don't do anything, you'll lose alot more.

I've had exact same thing in my tank for months. Neither seem to be killing the other and Pepperment Shimp seem to ignore.

Kaulk will kill aptasia if PS won't and Zoos will come back, they are like weeds.

I mix up Kalk Paste using Mother's Pickling Lime that you can find in any grocery store...usually in the canning section. Mix it with RO water to a toothpaste consistency and use a syringe to inject it into and on the aiptasia. It works just great for me. Your Zoanthids may stay closed for a couple days afterwards but will be just fine.

Back