Please help me ID my fish I lost....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MC Lighting

A Little Overboard!
Back when I first set up my 180 I had a Mantis that wiped out a bunch of my fish one pair of them that I have never seen since they were sold to me as Tile fish but nothing I find says thats what they are. I know the pictures suck and I appologize its the best I have from that time. Any help is appreciated I would love to find another pair of these they were so cool to watch and got along with everything in the tank.

does anyone know what BR's pm address is so I can send over a ? to them with the thread thanks a bunch for the info.

thanks Ed interesting I did not know it was a goby at all as I thought they stayed at the bottom and these guys were always out and about swimming freely in the tank, the closest I found online was the yellow headed sleeper but none of the others are close and even the sleeper is not quite right as the ones I had had a black or splotch and the boddy seemed more torpedo like I guess is the best way to put it but if you say this is wha tI got then thats what I shall go take a look at... maybe I had a rare combination of them?

Last edited:
Yours is a tilefish. Like the link I posted. I was just saying that BR had a goby that looked almost identical. I thought it was at first. Good luck. And BTW, post pics when you get them.

ahhhh thanks Ed much appreciated yeah I will go down this weekend and see I got a bunch of stuff going on I have to go get the new 90g as well as some other things man I hate being back into the hobby again I am spending money like I have it....

MC

I don't think that is " Tile Fish" , more exactly Sand Tile Fish (family). That is like saying it is a Angle Fish or Buttefly Fish as far as what it really is. These fish belong to the Family Malacanthidae and are of the Genus Malacanthus and there are a number of species.

I have not been able yet to find this fish yet. As far as it not being a tile fish just look at the tail in your pics vs the other pics posted or any on the net. Your fish has no forked tail like any of the File fish pics. Any File fish you look at has a very forked tail.

I think dggrmer is more in-line that it is a Dart Fish of some kind, a member of the Ptereleotrinae famaily or a Goby or sleeper related fish.

You want to try for a better and more clear pic.

This is my closest so far and IMHO it is no it either.

http://gobyfrontiers.org/gf/jg-036.htm

Do some checking or contact them here. Lots of pics

http://gobyfrontiers.org/gf/

I appreciate everyones help they were such fast swimmers that getting good pics of them was hard I will look through and see if I have any others to help. Again thank you to everyone for thier input on this I knew it was nto going to be easy to pin this down

I saw the two and one that looked like its was hiding a BR yesterday. They had them listed as tile fish The name started with either and F or a G I doubt that will help much you should call them they'll know for sure. I thought about the pair you described to me the other day looks like a match.

I must have missed you on Sunday as I went over and had my skimmer modded, Those are DEFINATLY the fish I was looking for and I have 2 on hold as they will be a problem with the eel in my 180 but I having a heck of a time getting the 90 driled quickly so I can get the others into it and go pick up the fish....

Back