Please help my derasa

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

benthic creature
the clams live in my aquarium since January 2006 ..
.. Yesterday the one did not open like the other days..
.. and today is like this ..:cry:
i have pyramid snails , but i cleaned before some days both ..
Thank you

How bad is the pyramid snail infestation? How are your water parameters?

Now i can see one or two .. not as many as other times ..

ca 420
d KH 8
mg 1350
ph 8.00-8.20
po4 <<0>>
2.5 year old tank

thank you

Flame angel
six line wrasse
blue tang
yellow tang
cardinal
anthias
bicolor blenny
grama loreto
fox face
kole tang
stenopus
cleaner
nasarius
trochus
no new arrivals except some new corals

not something suspicious IMO

I shock it for 18 min in RO water with same temp and ph..
.. for "Pinched Mantle"

my d KH is 12 .. the old salifert test false ..

i would not do a fresh water dip on the clam, this is not what pinched mantle does to clams.

you have two fish that are notorious clam nippers, the flame angel and bicolor blenny. try and place something over the clam to keep fish away but still allows light to get to the clam, like a strawberry basket or the top of a clear 2l bottle with a bunch of small holes drilled in it so water can still flow through it.

personally i dont like fresh water dips for anything, just in case the animal dosn't like the shock. that clam dont look to good. make sure nothings inside it could of been had from below, i hope it gets better.

I do not think that is a flat worm / PM but a nemertean worm like this one. I have never seen a falt worm like that. I'll have LeslieH look a it :D

1penny-worm.jpg

flat-worm.jpg

Last edited:
thank all of you !

I saw it for second with flash lighter.. the half of worm it was under the rock .. the other half near to the clam
.. it react with light very fast moving like wave not like snake
look like the photo of me and Boomer but I am not totally sure

one more think .. before a week I made a 50% change of water .. fresh salt water stay 24 h before go in the tank .. sal was ok , temp was ok , ph was ok ..
.. with allot of fantasy :D, is it possible new water make ionic unbalance and cut the food for my clams .. you can see the siphon looking at sediment ..
just an idea ..:oops:
thank you :exclaim:

I had my crocea react and die the exact same way in my tank about 6 months ago.... I had the clam for a little over 8 months and I went out of town on business for a day and for some reason my lights never shut off so the theory was he got really sunburned.... but he never showed signs of coming back once my lights were back on schedule, he was gone in a matter of days

PS - I have never seen any of those worms in my tank... and I can't think of any losses since then accept those attributed to evil starfish in the SPS

At least you know you aren't the only one :)

after the week of death .. I cant explain way the last crocea survive..
the water level in the tank during the week was 2’ lower than it use to be … I thing I burn my clams :cry:

Back