PLEASE HELP!!! Tank crashing slowly!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
Well I wake up this morning and my mom tells me there are a couple of dead fish in the tank and i go look and i find out that the temp of the water is 98 degrees!!!!! I have no idea on how it got so high!I have 2 10k 48" light and 1 48" actinic light and they have never got that high! i always keep my temp at like around 82 degrees. HOW CAN I LOWER THE TEMP!!!! I ADDED 5 GALLONS OF MIXED WATER IN IT JUST NOW. DO I NEED TO DO A WATER CHANGE? IF SO HOW DO I DO THAT? Thanks alot for that help people,

Porksoda

Ummm not to be rude, but you have a saltwater aquarium and don't know how to do a water change?

We're going to need a lot more information about your tank before we'll be able to help you. What size tank is it...what is all your equipment? Oh and IMO, even always keeping your tank at 82 is too high of temp.

And so far that has died is a Fuzzy dwarf lion, a pencil urchin, a chromis, blue damsel, my 8" snowflake eel, and my condy anemone! That is a BIG LIST!!!! I am so upset now. Some one please help me out on how to lower the temp.

get a bag put ice cubes in the bag and float it in the tank. If you have a 2 liter bottle you can fill it with water freeze it and then float that in the tank. Good luck hope it works out

Ummm not to be rude, but you have a saltwater aquarium and don't know how to do a water change?

We're going to need a lot more information about your tank before we'll be able to help you. What size tank is it...what is all your equipment? Oh and IMO, even always keeping your tank at 82 is too high of temp.

Well I have a 55 gallon and i am running just some normal out put lights (NO) and i have a hang on back duel bio wheel filter system, and i have 2 70watt heaters set at 76 degrees, I have about 30 pounds of liverock and 50 pounds of livesand. And i guess thats it. My water has went down to 94 degrees now sense i put that 5 gallons of water in.

Sounds like one of the heaters "died" in the on position. Verify which one or both heaters are warm and immediatly discard. Keep floating some ice and hang in there.

Sounds like one of the heaters "died" in the on position. Verify which one or both heaters are warm and immediatly discard. Keep floating some ice and hang in there.

Thanks for the help man. its down to 89 degrees now. I got a 5 gallon bucket and i put some water from my tank in it and i put the fish that were still alive in it with a small powerhead. so they wont die in the tank. I took out all the dead fish and now i am just doing the ice thing for now.

Hang in there... you will get through this. The Ice in a two liter thing is great advice. Ice in a bag more iffy. Remember, the key is patience...do things a little more slowly for your fish. -but do them Just in my newbie humble opinion.

take heaters out, chech pumps for temp, lockup, take out all dead, do water change. re aclimate fish when returning to tank. Good luck

And why the negitive to this person. He asked for help!!!

take heaters out, chech pumps for temp, lockup, take out all dead, do water change. re aclimate fish when returning to tank. Good luck

And why the negitive to this person. He asked for help!!!

yeah no kidding we all were new at one point I still am and come on I can see how someone could jump into this hobby without knowing much about it. I can understand knowing how to do water changes is really important but perhaps he bought an allready established tank? I could see where that situation could emerge.

My advice would be to read the newbie thread to better your knowledge of maintaining a tank, and perhaps buy a book I have a good paperpack that explains everything you need to know to have a salt water tank up and running. Sounds like you got everything close to under control. I'm sorry for your loss, thats too many fish to lose in one night. But try to think that someday even though how tragic this may seem, you'll look back on it and laugh well maybe not laugh but it's all a learning experience.

As for the 2 ltr bottle idea---Brilliant!!!

yeah no kidding we all were new at one point I still am and come on I can see how someone could jump into this hobby without knowing much about it. I can understand knowing how to do water changes is really important but perhaps he bought an allready established tank? I could see where that situation could emerge.

My advice would be to read the newbie thread to better your knowledge of maintaining a tank, and perhaps buy a book I have a good paperpack that explains everything you need to know to have a salt water tank up and running. Sounds like you got everything close to under control. I'm sorry for your loss, thats too many fish to lose in one night. But try to think that someday even though how tragic this may seem, you'll look back on it and laugh well maybe not laugh but it's all a learning experience.

As for the 2 ltr bottle idea---Brilliant!!!
thanks for the advice

I'd agree that it sounds like one or both of your heaters is malfunctioning. I'd remove both heaters for now, AFTER unplugging them and leaving them in tank for about 15 minutes. NO Fluorescents aren't going to heat up the water like this, from your first post, I wasn't sure what type of lighting you had so thought it could have been lighting. Pumps can overheat a tank quickly if they get stuck and lock up. HOB filters can do the same thing. I'd guess it's a problem with the heaters though.

Back