Please help, what is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cowgirldani

horses - koi - reef
Our Naso tang devoloped some sort of head sore. It looks like it erupted from under the top layer, as the yellow scale/skin is stretched and torn over it. the lesion is the dark grey color of the fish, but has some sort of white clumps in it, look hard. not sliming. Fish doesnt seem bothered at all, eats fine, still a active swimmer, hasnt lost weight. Been about a week. Only difference is the hideous bulge on his head.

Saw him by cleaner shrimp today, first time I saw them working on it. Now he is over there often, and they were working like crazy. Looks like they tore out a big chunk of it, and now all i see is red flesh under and bone...

I dont get it. If I had a hole like that in my head I wouldnt be acting just like normal. Any ideas? Help I wanna fix my naso we love him!

Tank parameters are normal, although two weekends ago we had someone tank care of the tank for us, and they overfed on the nori. Dont know if that would affect it, all other fish, corals, etc are doing great.

Here are some pics, please note the cleanershrimps pulled big chunks out that were near the top.

100_1312.jpg

100_1306.jpg

100_1310.jpg

100_1307.jpg

Last edited:
I would hope no one in the house would harm him :(

As far as tankmates, he is by double the biggest, we have clowns, leopards wrasse, mccosker wrasse, lawnmower blenny and two cleaner shrimps.

ok ill go make a post there too. couldnt remember which forum would be best for health, I havnt been on here a lot lately :/

Last edited:
my neice says it is an ouie and it is caused from the fish thinking about escaping too much. It is making it's head explode.

I thought it was funny so I thought I would share, at least the way she said it was funny.

Back