please I,D this coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

patch10

hi all could anybody please shed some light on the i,d of this coral for me please it would be much appreciated, bought it from my lfs great site by the way thanks chris

these are hard to keep alive then if that is the species, harder then favite corals, looks like i have my work cut out if im to keep this beauty alive and thriving, thanks for the imput amazing site

They may be slightly more difficult than a Favite, but not really much. The main difference is probably in that a Favite is an LPS, while a Merulina is an SPS. The Favite isn't as high light demanding. Though Merulina aren't as high light demanding as a lot of SPS corals. I've kept them on the sand bed, in a 27" deep tank, with no problems at all. As far as SPS corals go, they're probably among the easier to keep.

You will want to keep detritus from settling on it. You can blow any that collects off, with a Turkey baster. In fact, in the photo you provided, it appears to maybe have some Cyanobacteria growing on it. (the dark brown/red spot)

They may be slightly more difficult than a Favite, but not really much. The main difference is probably in that a Favite is an LPS, while a Merulina is an SPS. The Favite isn't as high light demanding. Though Merulina aren't as high light demanding as a lot of SPS corals. I've kept them on the sand bed, in a 27" deep tank, with no problems at all. As far as SPS corals go, they're probably among the easier to keep.

You will want to keep detritus from settling on it. You can blow any that collects off, with a Turkey baster. In fact, in the photo you provided, it appears to maybe have some Cyanobacteria growing on it. (the dark brown/red spot)

so this will need cleaning of then it was there when i bought it frm my lfs i thought it was part of the coral, thank you for informing me on this matter

Back