Please ID Anemone on LR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pblutang

I just picked up some Live Rock and these anemones are attached to some of it. Can someone help me ID these? I don't know they are pest or ok for my mixed reef tank.

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

If they are pest. What would be the best way to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, they are a pest. Aptasias.
I like to mix up some kalkwasser paste and layer some on. Will usually disolve them
Joes Juice will work also.

im not sure about the first one but im dealing with the same problem . i just got some peppermint shrimp, im told that they will eat the smaller ones, and for the big ones im using the joes juice.

i did'nt know what they were for a while, and then they soon started to take over my tank
if someone has any better advice i would also appreciate it
thanks

If these are all on the same piece you just put in, might want to pull it out and pour boiling water all over them. You might be happy you nuked them before they spread. Not sure of the size of the rock/ease of removal.

I hit mine with a kalk paste. Get a half shot of salt water from the tank, add in a pinch of salt to make it 'heavy' and then mix in kalkwasser powder until it is the consistency of mayo. Shut off your powerheads. I use a syringe (5 ml) with a short piece of airline hose attached to it, and then shoot them with the paste. Sometimes they eat it, but get it way down in their hole. Wait 10-15 min, then suck the paste out with a longer length of airline tubing. Give a good 20-30 sec of vacuuming to each one, try to watch for the aptasia shooting up the airline tube. If any pieces are left, they will spread.

good luck

and does it take some time for the peppermints to get to work? i have not noticed any removal of the pests. i have a 120 gal, with 4 peppermints.
thanks

a bottle of Joe's Juice came with the the set up. I shot those bigs up. I hope it works. I have some berghia in my tank that should take care of the smaller ones. I also have a copperband butterfly. I haven't seen the butterfly eat any apstasia yet.

the berghia cleaned up what I had. Id give you one if I can catch em. I got some from Mark, nwinverts. In NE Tacoma. He had 3 for $25.00. Everyone that got berghia from him was VERY happy.

IMHO, Joe Juice is all a marketing hype...save your money and use vinegar or lemon juice..anything acid..

and does it take some time for the peppermints to get to work? i have not noticed any removal of the pests. i have a 120 gal, with 4 peppermints.
thanks

Some peps go for them, some don't. Its kind of a crap shoot with peppermints.

You can buy kalk at the local reef store. You could also order it online under the name:

Mrs Wage's Pickling Lime

and it will be a lot cheaper. Could even buy the pickling lime locally, not sure where though. Maybe a grocery store or walmart (who I'd rather not support, but I've heard they have it.)

If you find where to buy pickling lime, let me know. :) I'd like to go that route after this expensive bottle of kalk powder runs out..

Back