Please Id scary looking crab

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

grahamsn

I was feeding my tank a couple of minutes ago and this black hairy beast comes out from under a rock I have never seen this before. Is it bad to leave in main tank? I think I might have found its home so if it is bad maybe I will have a chance to catch it.

DSCN3580.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN3581.jpg
[/IMG]

Judging by the above pics, it might be a xanthid crab, which looks very similar to a mithrax / emerald crab but is usually black.

Cool I will have to check out that site. I have two emeralds and it does not look anything close to them. I know the pictures are not the greatest, but wanted to get something before it went in hiding. If anyone else wants to chime in would be very appreciative.

Does it mostly pick at your live rock, or does it try to grab food when you feed the fish? Was it harassing the snail shown next to it in the pics? Unless you regularly see it grazing on the rockwork chowing down on algae I would subject it to a dose of boiling water, butter, and a shot of lemon :) Someone might want it for a fish-only tank or perhaps a crab-only tank, so don't just eliminate it right away I suppose.

This is the first time I have ever seen it. It did not even pay attention to the snail also there was an emerald next to it and did not bother it either. I have no clue what it has been eating since I have never seen it before. Must have came on some live rock I bought forever ago.

I've read somewhere if it has small claws it's cool. Large claws bad.
I had to move my Emerald to my sump because fish were disappearing on me. Since it's been in there I haven't lost another fish. He's 3+"

I've had nothing but bad experinces with crabs that come in with live rock.
They usually end up being coral eaters if enough other food is not available.
In my case it was always zoanthids that they went after.
What I usually had to do was put a small glass jar ( small baby food jar works perfect) in the tank with a small piece of shrimp tied to a weight. Tip the jar at a angle against some rock near where you see the crab. Eventually the crab will be attrached to the bait and crawl in.

just cause every one rants crabs are evil... doesnt mean that you should just go killing the little guy....

i think crabs are kindda fun to watch some times...
you can kindda interact with them a little more then fish.. but if you notice the claws geting larger and larger.. that means hes a mean guy.. but other wise.. all crabs are opportunistic eaters.... they dont catch healthy fish.. of shirmp...

I have always just thrown pest's into the fuge. That way I still get to enjoy what I found and it can't do any harm.

Good luck :)

-augustus

Back