pls help is this stn

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hi just bought this piece bout 2 weeks ago. the bottom hasnt had much light been wedged between rocks

sps005-1.jpg

sps004-1.jpg

sps003-1.jpg

Hello,
Was the overall coral that light when you got it? It appears like it's lost much of its zooxanthellae. If it got lighter after you purchased it I would move it to an area of high flow and lower light.

Cheers,
Kevin

Yes it looks like STN to me. Higher flow often stops it. Healthy Acropora do not often loose tissue under low light conditions but rather get very dark and often brown as they allow the zooxanthellae to increase. Low flow on the area sheltered areas will often be the cause of tissue die off.

HTH,
Kevin

No I don't think fragging is required. I would try to increase the water flow near the area where the tissue ression is.

Another effective method is to apply gel type super glue along the border of the area, being sure to cover a small amount of the living tissue.

HTH,
Kevin
PS: Cutting a small branch and placing it in another location is always good insurance. Just in case :)

Kevin gave some good advise and the insurance frag is something I also would recommend. Yes it has some stn but it doesn't look to serious yet, in my opinion.

Back