Plumbing question regarding pump placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeez2474

There isnt enough clearance in my stand to run my return line in a straight line.

Here is my setup:

sump | quick disconnect | return pump | flex tube

If I put a 90 angle I could have the pump run from front to back, rather than side to side; which would give me enough room. A friend of mine says the pump has to be ran inline, and that I have to avoid a 90 until after the pump is hooked up. Is this true? I dont see how having a 90 right after the bulkhead is going to restrict the flow available to the return pump. My return is a Blowhole 1450.

Hi Jeez,
Best case is straght from buikhead into pump with no bends, as they may cause air locks, Sometime we have to do what we have to do? You can use flex pvc from sump to pump may help with slight bend in lieu of 90? A picture of area may help with ideas:)

It isn't recommended to put a 90 right in front of the pump intake but a lot of people do it for the exact same reason. The reason why isn't necessarily restriction but more of a cavitation problem from a too turbulent flow of water coming into the pump. This is more of a problem with larger pumps. If it's at all possible, I'd recommend adding a many inches as pipe as you can between the 90 and the pump intake. Even a few inches will help.

I'm running a Reeflo Barracuda and I have a 90 between the inlet and sump. I figure 2" PVC helps prevent restricted flow to the pump though. Setup runs fine for me.

Mike

I ended up using 2 45's instead of a straight 90 degree elbow and it's working fine. I guess it only matters if you have a huge pump, because they move so much water it would put a lot of pressure on the elbow.

Thanks for all the input

Back