plumbing question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to plumb from the closed loop manifold to the pumps. It looks difficult to line up all the pipe as both are fixed locations(once you plumb intake to the pump outlet is fixed). Any advice on how this is achieved would be great!!!!!

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to plumb from the closed loop manifold to the pumps. It looks difficult to line up all the pipe as both are fixed locations(once you plumb intake to the pump outlet is fixed). Any advice on how this is achieved would be great!!!!!

Thanks

See if a pic of mine will help.

Don
Closed%20loop%20rear%20view.jpg

thanks Don,

Problem is we dont really have flexible pvc in Aus.(well at least were Im from). So I am limited to using hard piping. I understand how it looks, its really just a matter of physically how to do it(steps invloved). Im worried it wont line up

thanks again though Don.

Oh yeah my pumps are actually inside the cabinet which is probably a bit more difficult, which i didnt plan on

Without flex pvc it will be a bit more difficult. That was the main reason why I use flex when I can. Without the flex, you'll have to use a series of 45's and 90's to make your bends. What you will have to do is dry fit everything and once you have it all set up, and everything fits perfectly, then go back and glue. Is it a parts list and step by step diagram you need to help you put yours together? If so, any chance to get a pic of what you are dealing with and also, we'd need to know what size output and input your pump uses as well as the plumbing size it needs to attach to to the closed loop:)

Cool Krish,

Thanks heaps. I will try and do a dry setup of it and see how it goes. (The joins are really tight fit and hard to get apart) Im guessing i will have to do most of the joints with one set of glue also(so they line up). This is what I did for the manifold...

Yeah, they get a bit tight sometimes and keep in mind that when glue is added, your fittings will slide in a bit futher than a dry fit so take that into account. If push comes to shove and you are really pressed for a few inches, some people will get hose barbed fittings and use some vinyl hose to add a little play where necessary when flex pvc isn't available. You could almost thread a hose barbed fitting into your pump and run some vinyl tubing up to the manifold and attach it to another hose barbed fitting. That's what I had to do on one of my setups. Then the only thing needing hard pvc would be the suction in your case which would be one less head ache:p.

Here are a few pics to explain what I mean on what I did on one of my setups:)

(1) The blue arrow in attachment one shows the vinyl tubing attached to the hose barbed fitting coming from the pump.

(2) The green arrow in attachment 2 shows the vinyl hose attached to the barbed fitting for the manifold.

(3) Attachment 3 shows the return manifold all made of hard pvc I just painted black and some lockline. Hope that gave you some ideas:)

Last edited:
i fit all of my pipes before i glue them... i cut the pipe that fits onto the pump just a little bigger..i try to fit it after i glue the rest of the fittings..i trim a little at a time until it fits perfect

Just remember for every 90 degree you will add 1 foot head and for every 45 degree you will add 6 inches of head. So you might want to up the size of your pump also.
Matt

Back