Plumbing Questions-Advice sought

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acemart

I am planning the plumbing for my new 180 and have a few questions for the plumbing "gurus" out there. My tank has double internal overflows rated at 600 gph each. I plan to use a Mag 12 as a return and want to split the returns. The Mag 12 has a 3/4' outlet -- does it reduce resistence to use 1" pvc and fittings from the pump to the tank or should I just use straight 3/4"? Also, I have been unable to find a "Y" so will have to use a "T" -- any idea how much loss this will result in? Plan to use spa flex as much as possible to avoid other 90 degree turns. If you have other ideas/solutions, please let me know. I am not very good at mechanical, electrical, plumbing projects (so what am I doing in this hobby) and am absolutley amazed that everything in my 72 is still working after a year!

I would just stay 3/4, the Tee will reduce the flow but I am not sure as to the number. Whats the overall plan you were thinking about.

Mike

If yo uread the literature for the mag 9.5 it will state that you need to double the size of your outlet or you will seriously restrict you flow. This means you need to run 1 1/2" pipe out of it. I used one for a small closed loop and initially ran 3/4" and could not figure out why my flow was so low. After some research I discovered that I needed to go to 1 1/2". Do a search and you should come up with something.

Go from outlet to a bell reducer to 1". Mate this onto a 1" tee fitting, which you may then add in another bell reducer on each side to jump things down to .75".

This will ensure that the potential increase in velocity will only be half, and resistive head losses should be less than half* of what they would be if you run full .75" tubeing from the pump onward.

*will vary a bit depending on the legnths of things of course.

Back