po4 & diatom

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

damien_kee

what is cause of diatom to blooming? are there related to po4?

any1 know how to remove those diatom? :confused:
and how to reduce po4?

Diatoms usually die off on thier own. Po4 can be removed with rowa phos or phos ban. Get the reactor from two little fishies. It rocks.

I see. thanks bro.
but the diatom is growing too fast and covering some of my coral n cause it die. i even turn off the light to slowing down the diatom. but this cause my acro STN.

Diatoms are mainly from silicates. Without silicates, they cannot form their cell walls. The granual PO4 media should still help you with that, it will just take a bit longer and require extra "swap outs" for fresh media. Be sure as well your water source is RO/DI or at least DI filtered. Tap water, depending on your area, is usually lousy with silicates and PO4 for that matter.

Cheers
Steve

Cyano is usually caused by a build up of nitrogen based products, But flow and lighting can be an auxilary cause to. Best thing to do when fighting algae of any kind is to control its input, so watch what and how much you feed, also watch you top off water input.

What kind of Salt mix do you use??

Mike

mojoreef said:
Cyano is usually caused by a build up of nitrogen based products, But flow and lighting can be an auxilary cause to. Best thing to do when fighting algae of any kind is to control its input, so watch what and how much you feed, also watch you top off water input.

What kind of Salt mix do you use??

Mike

i give no feeding. i got only 2 fish, yellow mimic tang & sixline wrasse. they will hunt for their own for food.
i top up with RO water, but coz too lazy to wait for tat RO water, and i top up once with the toilet's tap water, after tat... everything i mean "algae" all blooming up!
im using coralife salt mix.

Sounds like the tap water is your source. Do you have a skimmer on the tank? Start using RO/DI water again with the top-offs, and water changes. When you do the water changes, try and siphon as much off as you can. Have you tested your tank water for nitrates and phosphates?

Back