pods eating my zoos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

briang

My 50 heads of eagle eyes has gone down to 10 heads. I do have some kind of brown algea looking substance on the zoos bases. I don't know whether it is brown jelly,diatoms or dinoflagellates.But they are disappearing fast. So last night I decided to turn on lights and check. I couldn't believe all the pods covering my zoos. Even the ones without the brown algea.The min. the light went on they scattered, all but 1, That SOB was about a quarter inch long. He just stayed and suck on that zoo like he hadn't eaten in a month. It was exactly like a mosquito.you could see his body pulse as he feed. As much as I wanted to get my gun, I just got my camera but it came out too blurred. I scared it off but next morning the head of that zoo was flapping in the current just waiting to fall off. I just got a 6 line but in the words of Officer Brodey(I'm gonna need a bigger fish) Anyone else ever have this problem?

Pods eating zoos

If this picture posts properly you can see zoos in center. Don't what I did wrong..I'll try to figure it out later

Last edited:
I doubt its pods. Full grown tiger pods arent even close to that big.

Don
I'll admitt I don't know an amphapod from an isopod. Heck I can't even spell it right .But the pod part I got right. Or mabey there is another name for almost beatle crossed to shrimp looking bug.?

at worst... the pods are scavenging a dead/dying mass. It is extremely unlikely they are causative of the problem.

Please consider pulling your sick specimen to a QT tank for better address (dips/meds) or at least not infect the tank any more/longer (damage control at this point).

at worst... the pods are scavenging a dead/dying mass. It is extremely unlikely they are causative of the problem.

Please consider pulling your sick specimen to a QT tank for better address (dips/meds) or at least not infect the tank any more/longer (damage control at this point).
Thanks for addressing my problem. This does make sense. Before this happened, I posted that a brown algea that as far as I can see, looks exactly like dinflagellates. Brown with gas bubbles on base of zoos. When I removed a portion of zoos, the browm actually squirted out, so it wasn't just on them but in them also. I posted this and tried the dip but it,s too late. I also have very small spot on 2 monti caps and on my xenia. Is there an in tank cure. I scrubbed monti with tooth brush, Seemed to help for now. WHAT DO I DO. Please help. Thankyou. did wc.last week gonna do again tonight

Look like this?

zoo_spider_pycnogonid.jpg

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/pycnogonid.html

No not at all. They were one of the more common amphipods. They curl up almost like a shrimp when touched. long antenas alsosome long thing in rear. looks like long stinger. I saw them when I looked up amphipods. They were said to be harmless and at this point I have to agree with Mr Calfo in that they were probably eating the dead matter off them. I think dinoflagellates are what did them in.

after an infection has run its course, USUALLY the matter is done though it may flare again if another unquarantined zooanthid or otherwise in-tank stressed coral gives it the chance in the coming weeks.

Focus on water quality : water changes and if possible ozone (or other means of raising REDOX) to stymie dinos and other pest or infectious issues. Its not foolproof but it is VERY helpful to hedging your bets for smooth sailing.

Back