Point and shoot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I'm looking for suggestions on a new point and shoot. I'd guess 10mp or more, good battery life but most importantly small and very durable. I just want something to throw in my pocket for hunting. I have a 50d but its just to heavy.

Thanks
Don

Look at the Canon G10 and G11. They aren't as compact as some of the other P&S though, but are very good P&S cameras, with more manual options than most.

Thanks, I was looking for something a little on the cheaper side. I destoyed a G11 last year and a 70-200f4L :cry: dont want to kill anymore expensive gear.

Don

LOL I can understand that. The G11 is almost as much as a DSLR. Angie's lil' P&S isn't bad at all. It's a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W170, 10.1 MP. I do wish it had a Manual Mode though. It does take great pictures!

Are they pretty durable? Iver never owned a little P&S besides a cell phone.

Don

Are they pretty durable? Iver never owned a little P&S besides a cell phone.

Don

I'd say yes. She carries her's in a small carry case, inside her purse, which I highly doubt you'll do...lol. Her's is also pink...lol. The camera has a solid feel, for such a small camera.

One thing you'll notice, P&S cameras are actually a lil' more capable than DSLR, when it comes to wide angle shots, unless you're going to shell out BIG BUCKS for a super wide angle lens, for a DSLR.

You will be dealing with a shutter lag, that you aren't used to, with your DSLR. This will make taking "action" shots more difficult, since the camera takes the picture AFTER you've pressed the shutter. This also makes taking pictures of our moving fish a bit difficult. But, for a easy camera to carry around, use and take decent pictures, it's pretty good.

I'd say yes. She carries her's in a small carry case, inside her purse, which I highly doubt you'll do...lol. Her's is also pink...lol. The camera has a solid feel, for such a small camera.

Dont be making fun of my purse.:lol: Got to be pretty durable to hold up to a womans purse. I forgot about shutter lag. Guess the bears will just have to sit still.

Thanks
Don

Keep in mind, that camera only offers 3X optical zoom. After that, it's all digital zoom, which degrades quality. It offers 4X digital zoom.

Waterproof!! It does appear this is a very "rugged" camera. Reading the DPReview on it, right now. Ahh, it's not a true review, just an announcement.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09111801casioexg1.asp

But, a true review here, which is also a great site. http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4226

Some good things I already see are:
Waterproof
Manual White Balance option
Manual Focus option
Continuous shooting of 3 FPS, which is great for a P&S
Good Shutter Lag at .01 seconds.
Very fast Auto Focus acquisition

I think you made a good choice

I bought the one I posted above. It was delivered defective so it will just go back. I just ran up to fred meyer and got an elcheapo samsung for this week ends bear hunt. I just need to get a hard shell case for my real camera.

Don

Back