Poisonous Palythoa Polyps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Although I think research is a good thing self diagnosis is not. Letting a doc know you may have come in contact with something toxic is always helpful and can speed the diagnostic process. A fish store giving medical advice and performing swag method testing is irresponsible and could have cost someone their life. Being the son of a very prominant MD and scientist I can without doubt say no doc in their right mind would tell you anything more than go to the ER if there was a chance in he?? Of this being palytoxin poisening. However I did inquire about this subject and of course got the typical answer "go to the ER" my interpretation of the technobable is that the test is very straight forward along with the treatment. I guess my point is that all the internet diagnosis is just enough information to dangerous.

Don

Thank you, Don. I appreciate and thank you for your thoughts. Dave is going in to see his today later this afternoon. I agree with you that no one should rely on "self-diagnosis", a fish store, or internet. But I enjoy research, so while we WAIT for my husband to get in, I am trying to find anything I can on the subject.
I found some articles rather interesting, as they tied Palytoxin-like compounds to the exposure of marine aerosols. This was only dated March 13, 2009, so it appears to be a rather recent discovery. I imagine you know more, so continue giving me your feedback.

We will be going on vacation soon, and I actually would love any book recommendations that would help educate me on invertabrates. Do you have any suggetions?

Sorry no real bound book suggestions I am more into places like Jstor, springer or even G scholor. I find the journals more informative and accurate but most require subscriptions.

Don

I will say, before speaking with Andy, I spent a good hour talking on the phone with Trev Dakan, the owner/ Marine Biologist of Salt Water City.

Hopefully he loves what he does.... to me this is like meeting a "master chef" and then he tells you he owns a mcdonalds.

Dave's Dr determined illness due to Palytoxin exposure.

Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry

http://www.online.karger.com/Produk...e=249208&ProduktNr=224332&filename=218190.pdf

Production of Functionally Active Palytoxin-like Compounds by Mediterranean Ostreopsis cf. siamensis

Palytoxin is one of the largest and highly potent marine toxins first isolated from zooanthids of the genus Palythoa. It has been also found in sea anemones, polychaete worms, crabs and herbivorous fishes. However, algae from the genus Ostreopsis have been proposed as the possible biogenetic origin of this toxin as well as some potent analogues, e.g. ostreocin-D.

Palytoxin-like compounds also cause human sufferings because of exposure to the marine aerosols, with symptoms that include fever associated to serious respiratory disturbs, such as bronchoconstriction, mild dyspnea, wheezes, and in some cases conjunctivitis.

Amy
Illustrator of the "Show and Tell Bible" Volume 2. Books of History
Visit: www.showandtellbible.com
or Amazon.com, Target.com as well as local Christian Bookstores.

Also visit: www.AskYourPreacher.org

Amy,

Please read over the paper that you continue to link to. It is referring to "palytoxin-like" compounds generated by the algae Ostreopsis. The paper is comparing the toxins generated by this algae to the toxins generated by palythoas. The key is that they are "palytoxin-like"... they are not the same toxins. The algae toxins is what causes fever, respiratory disturbances, etc... NOT palytoxin.

I'm not going to get into the discussion of what IS causing the problem, because I've been there/done that. But please don't think that this paper supports your thinking - the only thing it does is mention "fever" and "palytoxin" within the same couple of paragraphs.

The problem with a diagnosis so late in the game is its one of those. "Well it could be things" The palytoxins would have been long since gone from the body. The diagnostic window is very short in terms of testing. I think I'd just feel lucky its almost over and move on.

Don

I have to agree with Don on this one. The sticky part is the fever in particular. Fever presents in infection, whether it be bacterial, or viral. I'm actually surprised to hear that they ruled out Vibrio cholerae. The symptoms you list fit it to a tee versus any of the known symptoms of Palytoxin poisoning. That being said, I would certainly suspect some other form of bacterial infection at play here. Without lab tests of the source water though, you'll never know for sure.

Your husbands Dr. should be able to send a water sample to their own lab for confirmation of the culprit if you don't want to send a sample of to a lab of your choice. I would think he would want to know for sure as well considering there is still going to be continued exposure to the presumed source of infection. Even if you're 100% positive it was palytoxin poisoning I would still have his Dr. send a water sample to the lab to confirm. After all, we're talking about the possibilty of a potentially life threartening illness. Even if it cost me $1000 out of pocket (which it would be more like $65) it would be good insurance and worth the peice of mind.

I just wanted to add... Sorry for bumbing an old thread.

My wife just spent 5 hours in the ER last week with the exact same symptoms. Though she has never put her hand in the tank. ever.

After 5 hours in the ER the doctor sent her home with the diagnosis of a flu. He also advised that this strain has got a lot of people lately and its nothing to worry about.

I guess that flu took a little while to make it from WA to HI.

Back