Polishing acrylic tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

minhmattmai

I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the fine surface scratches of my 5-gal acrylic tank. I do have a grinder, orbital waxing machine, and a variable-speed polisher but they all seem to cumbersome for the job. As far as material, what would be a good compound to use on acrylic? All I currently have is autopaint polishing compounds.

You can do it with very fine sandpapers and a whole lot of patience. You might get some resulting distortion depending on how agressive you need to get. When I say very fine, I mean papers in the thousands not hundreds, grit wise. I would do it by hand and work with progressive grits and take your time and don't press too hard. I am no expert so hopefully others will reply as well, but have done it on small scratches and superglue spills and it is no fun.

This is one of those jobs that if you aren't a good finisher (sander) you won't be happy with the results... take your time! Sounds like a lot of work doing both sides, it might not be worth your effort? Hard to say not seeing the job. Good luck!

Would wet sanding help?

Absolutely, and make sure you are rinsing and cleaning and starting with fresh water with each step so you don't contaminate a finer grit paper with residue from an earlier coarser grit or you are back to that step again.

Depending on how fine the scratches are, try the Novus stuff. It comes in grades 1-5 I think. You should be able to polish it out that if its not a scratch deep enough to feel with your fingernail

I recently purchased a kit that works with my Algae Free magnet cleaner. The pad attaches to the inside magnet and the grits run from 1500 up to 6000. I got the kit from Algae Free for less than $60. I did the worst sections per their instructions and it made a remarkable difference. Now, every time I swipe the magnet to clean the tank I attach one of the finer grit pads. Tank looks great and very easy to do. Probably won't work on really deep scratches thought.

Mike

Yea, +1 for Novus 1, 2, & 3 for most minor scratching I did a 75g inside & out no problem.

The tank I bought on CL was really bad as someone cleaned it with a scouring pad. I used a Makita palm sander 400g, 800g, 1500g, 2000g then hit any remaining scratches with #3 then buffed entire tank by hand with #2. The #1 is a anti-static cleaner/polisher to make it shine, I rinsed out with warm water and it was good to go.

Todd

P.S. You can get the complete line of Novus products from TAP Plastics

I have buffed out a few tanks the last one was toasted with deep scratches that easily caught you nail inside and outside of the tank. Here is how I did it on my tanks as they were not running at the time. It took a alot of work but they are as good as new now. I first used 400 wet sand paper going in one direction opposite of the direction of the scratch, then 800, 1000, and 1500 all going in opposite directions with each grit change I used a rubber sanding block to hold the paper always keeping it wet and rinsed. I then used heavy rubbing compound then light using a centrifugal buffer on a med speed with a microfiber pad, this took out all of the remaining fine sandpaper scratches. I finished with three different steps of McGuire’s wax by hand. It was some work but it brought the tanks that was only good for a sump back to a display quality. Hope this helps you.

Glass

Anybody have a similar technique for glass? I purchased a 120G with 1/2 glass on CL but not until I put the MH lights on did I see how many surface scratches there really were?

I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the fine surface scratches of my 5-gal acrylic tank. I do have a grinder, orbital waxing machine, and a variable-speed polisher but they all seem to cumbersome for the job. As far as material, what would be a good compound to use on acrylic? All I currently have is autopaint polishing compounds.

Put it in your car and drive it down to an acrylic shop and pay them to buff it out...at least that's what I would do.

Anybody have a similar technique for glass? I purchased a 120G with 1/2 glass on CL but not until I put the MH lights on did I see how many surface scratches there really were?

oooh, that sux. Can't buff out glass. It's permanent:(

You can use regular sandpaper. I used to build acrylic aquariums for a living. Depending on how deep any of the scratches are will determine where to start for a grit. All you need as a lubricant is a spray bottle of water mixed with some liquid dish soap.

Be patient and press gently, let the sandpaper do the work. Each grit higher that you use will require more time then the one before it did.

I just did one of my tanks I started with 600 to knock all the big scratches out then moved straight to 2000 then novice 3 then 2 then 1 now it is beautiful. alot of elbow grease thats why I am going to home depot to buy a grinder tomorrow dewalt makes a good one. I buffed cars for many years. the key is alot of water and a soft block keep the sand paper clean and it will do all the work for you. you want to use wet sand paper any auto store will have it and if they have above 2000 by all means you can use that also. I am new to the area so I am not sure where any auto paint stores are at I asked a couple body shops for some sand paper to use. I will post photos of it tomorrow from start to finish. it is my new nano tank I still have a 100 and a 240 to do next.

Back