Poll: Coralline Algae - Love it or hate it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Poll: Coralline Algae - Love it or hate it?

• Love it! Want it everywhere in my tank!

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Hate it. It's a nuicance

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Like it in moderation. A little on the rocks and that's it.

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
I've seen some people try everything in the book to get coralline growth. Some aren't happy if it isn't plastered over everything! On the otherhand, we have some that just can't stand it! Me, I like it in moderation. Give me a few colors to color up my rock, but anywhere else, I don't care for it. How about you?

So let's vote!

Last edited:
For the person who voted they love it pastered everywhere, here is what everwhere looks like taken from our dear friend Charlie's tank. That's some crazy coralline growth!!

IMG_7930.jpg

I won't have an acrylic tank because it does too well when using a calc. reactor. Glass makes it not so much a vandetta to erradicate it.

You forgot the option "I cant really grow it".

Ive never been able to grow any noticable amounts in my display tanks. It always grow in the fuge and on the undersides of my rock work. After having been in the hobby for a while now (and having friends that is grows like a weed for) I feel lucky it doesn't grow like crazy for me.

I find that the corals make a tank look good, not coraline algea.

I like it somewhat on the rocks too, but I hate cleaning it off the glass. I dread this acrylic tank. I just know its going to be a pain to keep the front clear of it.

I have had it cover and kill zoas too. Not happy with that!

I think it's alright on the rock and back glass but detest it on my viewing panes and it gets old having to soak pumps etc to remove it.

For some reason it does seem to grow better/quicker on Acrylic tanks as well as plastic/acrylic plugs etc. The only thing I really like about coralline is I hate GHA worse LOL!

Newbie question...how do i control coralline algae? its everywhere on my tank, i scrap the sides and front but leave the back, the rocks and all filter pieces. i do like a minimal look but all pink tank is a little annoying!

Newbie question...how do i control coralline algae? its everywhere on my tank, i scrap the sides and front but leave the back, the rocks and all filter pieces. i do like a minimal look but all pink tank is a little annoying!

Yea, it can get a bit overwhelming sometimes. There are things like urchins etc that will eat it and put a huge dent in it, but with this it can be also spread to other areas of the tank as well. I do however believe with them constantly eating it though it should keep the coralline down to a minimum seeing they will spend their day grazing on it all day. Hopefully others will chime in with what they have used in the past. I believe I remember some saying crabs and snails, but not 100% sure ones. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a black spiny urchin for ever and I have very little in my 125, got a lot in my sump though, so he has always done a good job of keeping it out

Keeping a single urchin is a good idea so long as the tank can support it long-term.

Be sure to keep your equipment clean of it because it will really inhibit performance greatly. I like to take my pump and powerheads out every few months and soak them in a vinegar & water solution for a couple of hours (longer if they are really nasty). After the soak everything pretty much wipes off clean.

What kind of ratio on the water/vinegar? I have one powerhead that is completely pink, I assume its running fine, the algae is just on the housing, but I'm sure it could use a good soaking!

I hate to think that its robbing my sps of calcium, but I am relatively new to the reef hobby and the fact that I am growing it like mad makes me at least feel like I'm doing something right. I guess?

What kind of ratio on the water/vinegar? I have one powerhead that is completely pink, I assume its running fine, the algae is just on the housing, but I'm sure it could use a good soaking!

1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Some people make it stronger, but vinegar has a tendancy to soften plastic if used too strong. I use the 1/3 ratio and run the power head while its soaking. Takes a little longer but I also keep extra powerheads so I can replace them while they are being cleaned.

love it -- at least on the rock and power heads. It kind of helps hide the power heads or at least blends them in.

love it -- at least on the rock and power heads. It kind of helps hide the power heads or at least blends them in.... How do urhcins do with coral around. I have had urchins eat my corals and knock them over. maybe I had the Wrong one.

Its a love/hate thing for me. I think its great on the rocks & back of the tank. Its not bad cleaning it off glass but it sucks cleaning it off acrylic!

Back