Poll: Most Popular Marine Fish in the Hobby.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Poll: Most popluar fish in the hobby

• I own a yellow tang

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I own a clown fish (any species will do)

Votes: 61 88.4%
  • I don't own either

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
We are always looking at members tanks that are displayed here on RF (and in some cases on other forums), but you can't help but to notice that there are a IMO, two fish that seem to be in almost every person's tank! It doesn't matter what size the tank is...One of these fish seems to be present. To test my theory on this, I decided to put up a poll on the two fish in particular I feel are the two most commonly purchased/acquired fish in the hobby. If you would like to discuss the subject, please feel free to do so here. I will set up the poll to allow multiple votes seeing we are dealing with two different fish. Interested to see how this thing goes. :)

Last edited:
Got to be clowns because Tangs all suck lol, Im going to have a herd of Niger Triggers for the next tank

LOL!! Well, you did have one of the two! Everyone has to have atleast one of these two. I had both. A yellow tang and 2 clown fish. Those yellow tangs are nice grazers and play nice. Not too badly priced either and they add color to your tank. I had both of them brought in by a friend. We aren't allowed to import marine life here, but a buddy of mine surprised me with getting them for me. Loved those fish. :)

Here's my yellow tang and my clowns I had. :)

Attachments

• 68.JPG
    68.JPG
    76.7 KB
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    69.4 KB
Last edited:
Both here and actually multiple times with as many tanks as we have. :D

I have two clowns. I would also have a tang if my tank size allowed it. But it wouldnt be the yellow tang

I have 2 pairs of clowns in my 400g, my granddaughters love them. 3 tangs, but no yellow . . .

I do have a yellow tang, but I think the clownfish and the blue hippo tang might be the most common. I have 9 clownfish.

If they're not in the display tank do they still count?

We have a pair of clowns but they're in my QT/grow out tank. We didn't want to toss the babies we got at SeaMax into the 90 gallon.

Last edited:
I currently have 4 clownfish and 2 yellow tangs in my tank. 2 mated pairs of ocellaris clowns and a whole crap load of tangs to be more exact.

I have both yellow and hippo tangs. I suspect in larger tanks those 2 tangs usually show up because of their brightness. I agree that in smaller tanks clowns are almost always present.

I got 2 clowns in my cube.love the way they almost always chasing each other around tank.
One of them will spend time swimming right at the mp10 just like its on a treadmill!

Back