Poll: Perferred salt mix for reef aquariums

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What salt mix do you use for your reef aquarium?

• Seawater

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Instant Ocean

Votes: 43 45.7%
  • Tropic Marin

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • HW Marine Mix

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Red Sea Salt

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Kent

• Coralife

• SeaChem

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Other - Please list

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

surf_buddy

After reading the information in the chemestry section about the pros and cons of various salt manufacturers, I'd like to hear what everyone is using for their reef aquariums. After voting please leave a comment about your experience with your perferred mix.

Please refrain from voting if you have a FOWLR or FO. If need be we can start other polls for those : )

Thanks!

I started this poll because my LFS said they only use salt provided by Kent. The LFS stated that they never have to add Ca, Mg, Strontium, and other trace elements. provided they probably do more H2O changes than me.

I'm looking to switch my current salt mix, so the poll is here to see where everyone is at, and how they like their current salt mix. So far it looks like what I've been using is the most popular, so I'm doubting the switch. Any comments or suggestions?

We have several salt threads & polls, you may try searching to find what your looking for?

We have several salt threads & polls, you may try searching to find what your looking for?

Thanks Scooterman I have, but what I have found does not address salt brands. I've seen polls on methods on how to maintain Alk and Ca, but nothing on what I'm polling. I'm trying to judge from the experience of this community what has been most effect when it comes to salt. If you are aware of a thread where this has already been discussed please point me in that direction.

Cool... the first link here is basically what I'm after. However, since this was first polled way back in 2005, should it be addressed since it is known that salt mixes change?

Another salt poll :) No poll needed, there must be a hundred of them on all forums combined ;) For 20 years it is always IO on top often followed by RC and SeaChem :) There are also a number of salt assay articles that most have seen, not that they really mean anything. I will add this, RC has been climbing in the last two years, gaining ground on its sister salt IO. But what appears to be a bad batch lot of RC , having low Ca++, it has lost ground.

Another salt poll :) No poll needed, there must be a hundred of them on all forums combined ;) For 20 years it is always IO on top often followed by RC and SeaChem :) There are also a number of salt assay articles that most have seen, not that they really mean anything. I will add this, RC has been climbing in the last two years, gaining ground on its sister salt IO. But what appears to be a bad batch lot of RC , having low Ca++, it has lost ground.

Great... based on this I'm going to return the Kent salt I bought last weekend that my LSF suggested I try. I'm already using IO... might as well stay with it.

I use OceanPure Reef Salt and love it. It seems very consistent and I never have any problems with mixing it! Little spendy, but it has more calcium and other trace elements.

I use OceanPure Reef Salt and love it. It seems very consistent and I never have any problems with mixing it! Little spendy, but it has more calcium and other trace elements.

I bought enough to test. Silicate was off the charts, P was .1 on the colorimeter. Ca 500 mg 1350 alk 9.0. That was awhile ago. Tested pro version last week got nearly the same results but much higher P of 1.0. Not something I'll be using.

Don

I bought enough to test. Silicate was off the charts, P was .1 on the colorimeter. Ca 500 mg 1350 alk 9.0. That was awhile ago. Tested pro version last week got nearly the same results but much higher P of 1.0. Not something I'll be using.

Don

My tests must be way off! Thanks for the information Don! What salt do you use or recommend?
Tyler

I like IO. Was using RC but its having ca issues so I wont spend the extra money until they get it fixed.

Don

What issues will I have with the high Silicates? And what is P supposed to read? I'm trying to get more familiar with these to make my reef more stable. Thanks for any help.
Tyler

What issues will I have with the high Silicates? And what is P supposed to read? I'm trying to get more familiar with these to make my reef more stable. Thanks for any help.
Tyler

High ca makes it difficult to get a tank balanced. Also damages equipment and slows coral growth. P should be as close to 0 as possible. Anything over .03 is more than I like to see. Silicates = algae fuel.

Don

Thanks a ton! I think I'm going to start using IO since it seems to be the choice salt to use!

I know there are tons of posts about testing equipment, but since your replying pretty fast, what equipment do you use to test?

Tyler

I know there are tons of posts about testing equipment, but since your replying pretty fast, what equipment do you use to test?

Tyler

P hanna colorimeter, Every thing else salifert verified and adjusted by spectra labs in Tacoma.

Don

Back