Poll: what color carpet anemone do you like?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What color carpet anemone is your favorite?

• Blue

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Neon Green

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Brown

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hi all

This may seem kinda dumb, but I want to get a carpet anemone and I am curious as to what color is other people's favorite. I have seen blue, neon green, and brown for sale locally and I have heard of other colors available elsewhere. So what do you all think?

I like the blues and the reds. Do keep in mind these don't have the best track record in aquariums and the are predatory on fish. Also, they get very large. Just a couple things to keep in mind when you are thinking about getting one.

Hi Reed,
Thanks for the reply. I am actually planning to put it in a tank of its own. I have a 60 gallon hex set aside for that purpose. I originally wanted a neon green, but now am leaning towards a blue one, and I have never seen them in red. I guess I will look them up!

i like the blue better i think, but i voted green too cause i think i read that they're easier to keep, though i can't really decide completely between the two since they're both so awesome looking

Red & Blues

Seems they are all comming out of Bali either one is a awsome color best of luck aquarookie I have read this will be put in a dedicated tank do you have halide lighting? Are you going to keep clowns that normally host in a carpet? again best of luck

I chose other...

Red Stichodactyla haddoni or a Blue/Plue Stichodactyla gigantea

yum..........

- Ilham :D

The Apprentice said:
Seems they are all comming out of Bali either one is a awsome color best of luck aquarookie I have read this will be put in a dedicated tank do you have halide lighting? Are you going to keep clowns that normally host in a carpet? again best of luck
Thanks! I am getting either a 250 or a 400 watt halide for the tank. 250 would make it just over 4 watts per gallon, 400 would make it over 6 (so I am leaning towards the latter). And yes, I would like to try out a pair of clowns with it as well.

aquarookie said:
Thanks! I am getting either a 250 or a 400 watt halide for the tank. 250 would make it just over 4 watts per gallon, 400 would make it over 6 (so I am leaning towards the latter). And yes, I would like to try out a pair of clowns with it as well.

Don't worry about watts per gallon, that theory is pretty much a farce! How deep is the 60 hex? That is what you wanna worry about, IMO. If it is deeper than 24" go with the 400w lites.

charlie said:
Don't worry about watts per gallon, that theory is pretty much a farce! How deep is the 60 hex? That is what you wanna worry about, IMO. If it is deeper than 24" go with the 400w lites.
You know, that is exactly what I thought (it's the depth of the water that absorbs light) but I did not know what formula to follow (watts per inch or what not) so I figured I'd stick with the watts per gallon. The tank is right about 25 inches deep, so considering the reflection off the surface, and a few other factors, 400 watts might be better. On the other hand, 250 is easier to come by and cheaper to run (our electric bill is pretty high as it is). Ah, we'll see.

Back