POll: What type of corals are you keeping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What corals are you keeping. (Majority)

• Total voters
take out the rest of the rock with coral and dip it. I would probably use flatworm exit in your case also the idea of fragging comes back into mind. you can remove the zenia from the rocks.

got it :) , thank you very much, just one more question how do i get my xenas stay in only one rock because everytime i clean the rocks the xenas just swim all ove the place until they grab themselves from a rock :p

that is why I don't keep them. they can reproduce like crazy. Time to thin them out and then donate or sell them. I don't have a clue on how to get them to stay in one place. Post a thread and see if anyone has any suggestions.

that's a good idea because i have always wonder how everyone has all those nice corals in the spot they want them to be.

being pretty new to the reef scene and having the expertise of reef frontiers I am beginning with lps and softies. hopefully as time goes by and funds permit I can see an sps tank in the future. I currently have a hammer coral, frogspawn, long tentacle plate, wyslophelia brain, green star polyps, toadstool leather, colt coral and green hairy "uh"... mushrooms. I almost forgot that beutiful red cyano.

come on I know there are more people out there with SPS tanks. I know more within 20 mins of here.

I keep mostly softies and LPS in 2 x tanks - 70 and 90 UK gallons
( 4.5 litres in UK gallon)

LPS - 3 bubbles and 2 euphylia - and 1 torch
softies - shrooms, ears, buttons, toady and leather fingers

I do not have Halides and as such maintain species I know are OK under tubes

SPS corals are very rarely available in my LFS in these parts (Ive seen 3 Acros in 2.5 years) thus upgrade to halides has thus far not proved neccasary
Steve

I voted SPS LPS but I guess it has all three?

I Have (killer) SPS dominated 75g. tank w/ BB bed of Zoa's, ric's, clams, and brain type and blasto type corals. I also have a Rose (w/ perculas) and a torch. and a frilly ridge type pagoda.

1 yr old sandbed removed. Have many killer corals, but am fighting many problems.

Skimmer was down for a month = algae problem.

Red bugs 1st treatment done.

Monti-nudibrachts. Geeze!

I still love this hobby!

95% SPS (predominantly acropora), 1 Euphyllia glabrescens, 1 Scylomia sp. and a spattering of ricordea (Mostly R. florida). Clams are also a large part of my tank and my approach to husbandry.

-Erik

Don't tell anyone, but there are some little zoathus sp. zoanthids that I've been trying to get rid of for about 9 months now that just refuse to leave my tank, damn reef weeds! I think you zoa lovers are nuts...

Erik - try and find someone with a heliacus snail hitchhiker. That would help get rid of those pesky zoanthids :). A local reefer here brought one to a meeting one time, hoping someone could use it. Just a thought.

Good suggestion nikki,

I have thought that option over. However, I don't want to add them to the tank as they will most cerntrainly die once the zoathids are gone and release unnecessary nutrient into the water, which I try to avoid in a tank as small as mine. Secondly, if they are not obligate feeders, they may strike up an appitite for something else. Just trying to shoot for the lesser of two evils.
I also tried a little coral warfare, but those little suckers pack a punch and have won so far. I have found that R. florida holds its own farely well against them. : ) ...

Well, I better cut this off before this thread is de-railed.

-Erik

Eric I have zoo eating nudi's they seem to do some pretty good zoo damage. You are welcome to have some :D

No fug yet. I'm trying to figure out where to put it. I kind of ran out of space. Most recommendations that I've had are 25% of total volume. Which would be about a 65g tank. Not sure if a much smaller one would make that much of a difference.

Back