poll

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

senji

post youre salinity and temp so we can see the difference of peoples tanks might be fun. and maybe type of tank.

mine sit at 1.026 and 79-80, 210 display and 120 frag tank

S.G. =1.026
Temp = 78-79F
65G display

FWIW, I haven't seen a discussion on temp in quite a while. AFAIC remember, corals stop metabolizing and synthesizing at temps below 75F and at higher temps these things happen more quickly making the corals grow more quickly. The ideal mid range temp for a reef tank is between 77-80 degrees. Corals can handle temps pretty well between 75-83 degrees and by setting your temps in thie middle of this range leaves you a little bit of wiggle room when problems arise. A couple of you who have posted above may want to rethink your temperature settings.

Great point Dwayne..

I thought some seemed a bit on the lower range but figured maybe they had temp swings and that was the reason for keeping it on the cool side

i want tips on how to keep my temp steady... id love for it to stay at 78 but im having a tough time with it and so are my coral. Ive got a 300w aquatop in my sump return section.... is a controller the only real way to keep it steady?

i want tips on how to keep my temp steady... id love for it to stay at 78 but im having a tough time with it and so are my coral. Ive got a 300w aquatop in my sump return section.... is a controller the only real way to keep it steady?

Yes, Heater thermostats are prone to failure and aren't all that accurate.

You can get a simple temp controller like a single stage Ranco controller for as little as $75 (which last for many many years without problem) or you can buy a whole aquarium controller the Neptune and Digital Aquatic controllers for as little as $199.

I highly recommend a whole aquarium controller for any size tank. Once you have one, you will never run a reef tank without.

Devin, based on my Experiance, YES, a controller is a VERY important piece of Equiptment. Heaters do fail and I have heard many horror stories of them getting stuck and frying peoples tanks.

Ambient temp swings can also play a roll in Tank Temp.

We use a wood stove, so if the temp in the house is at 60 and say our tank is at 78. When the temp in the house is at 70, the tank would climb a degree or 2.
The volumes of water also plays a factor in this, obviously.

thxs for the responses! I did have an old rk2 i used but i spilt a bunch of sw on the plugs... :(
ill look into the cheaper temp ones...single huh?

i keep mine at .025 80deg. my rkl keeps temp pinned only fuxuates .2 eitherway before rkl makes corrections ie turn on or off heaters.

Back