Polyps are taking over!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

:mad:One of the first species of coral that I purchased was your standard button polyps. They were on a small piece of live rock and they've done well over the two or three years that it's been since. In fact they are starting to take over my whole tank. They've virtually covered all my live rock. They are spreading across the sand substrate. I'm even now scraping them off the glass.

They are bothering some of the more interesting corals I've since added. And, frankly its getting a little unsightly.

What can I do to weed them out? Will anything eat them, but not other coral species?

Any help is accpreciated

Hello;

How about a nice picture of this unique tank. :)

I feel anything we can grow is beautiful. Your tank parameters may be appreciated for those having problems growing Polyps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If they say it can't be done, try harder!"

Enjoy!

OFM

I'll work on getting a pic for you. I've never done that before so we're talking about some new stuff for me. Stand by....

It looks like it's killed a plate coral with tentacles. I think it's killed some sps frags. And it's definately harrassing an open brain coral.

I'll try to get the pic posted tomorrow. But some thoughts would be appreciated. I've done a little research and as Surf Buddy would verify, this is not unusual. I've failed to realize just how aggressive these semi-aggressive corals can be. Is there any way to handle the problem after you've identifies the problem?

I have a feeling we aren't talking about "standard" standard button polyps. A picture is really gonna help, because it does sound pretty unusual.

i cant give u any help mate with out know what kinda coral where talking about its like if u were bitten by a spider and doctor can help u more if he know what type of spider bit u

Seems clear enough, he's talking about protopalythoas aka button polyps. They do well in nutrient rich water. Can be peeled off with tweezers a few at a time as they are toxic. Protect any cuts and ones eyes.

Hello;

Herefishyfishy --- may have a point --- protopalythoas -- these things look to much like Aptasia for me, and spread almost as fast. :shock:

They do come in some interesting colors --- I would still like a picture! :)

A link about the toxins: http://www.thelogicalreef.com/toxicity.asp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If they say it can't be done, try harder!"

Enjoy!

OFM

pictures?

Here are some shots from my tank. You can see the polyps spreading across the sand and harrassing an open brain coral. And the third shot shows how they killed, I think, a sps frag.

Any thoughts?????????

Holy smoke... I take back what I said. And here I thought you didn't know what a 'button polyp' was. Sorry.

Did I say holy smoke yet?

Wow.

What nuclear waste site did you get these from?...

Best bet to control is herefishyfishy's comment - just peel them off. Should be easy on the sand bed. Looks like it'll just come off in one giant mat. And after you do it, I'd be running a bunch or carbon, and changing often, just in case.

Hello;

A picture saves a thousand words in this case! :eek:

Beautiful, I guess you have more than you want though.

Many people would be happy to take a few from you. Would you please send me your tank stats with lighting and duration, feeding, etc,. --- I would love to add this to my library. :)

OFM

That is nuts...then again that is exactly why my zoanthids grow on rocks out in the middle of my sand and away from my main reef rocks. This way I can keep them at bay. It is crazy how they completely formed a dense cover over your substrate.

Wow... i would see if any one wants some and just start passing out for free or toss em or waht ever... but that is amazing.

Surf Buddy, is this the same thing you see in your tank?

I'm still looking for a solution. The things are taking over my tank. I don't really fancy a tank of polyps and fish....

OldFishMan asked for the stats on my tank. It's a standard 125 gal, 72x18x23 tank. I run Current Outer Orbit fixture with 3 150w MH and 4 96w PC actinic bullbs. Water movement is provided by 2 Tunze 1600's (total 3200 gal/hour) plus a sump return of 650 gal/hour. I suppliement with 2-part B-Ionic. And I feed zooplankton and phytoplanton, one or the other, 2-3 times a week.

These polyps are pretty. But they're messing with other, prettier, nicer coral specimens. Other than picking them out, one polyp at a time, what they hell should I do?

Back