Polyps are taking over!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I forgot to list the biologic load. I have a Niger Triger (6"), a Naso Tang (5"), a Lamark Angel (5"), a Maroone Clown (4"), a 6-stripe wrasse, and two damsels with attitude. I have a piece oof Hydnphora that's doing well, frog spawn that's doing great, plate coral that's dying, brain coral that's suffering, Montipora that's doing well, and a couple pieces of acropora that's struggling.

Water quality is very good.

Thoughts?

I forgot to list the biologic load. I have a Niger Triger (6"), a Naso Tang (5"), a Lamark Angel (5"), a Maroone Clown (4"), a 6-stripe wrasse, and two damsels with attitude. I have a piece oof Hydnphora that's doing well, frog spawn that's doing great, plate coral that's dying, brain coral that's suffering, Montipora that's doing well, and a couple pieces of acropora that's struggling.

Water quality is very good.

Thoughts?

I would think that if they are in the substrate, you should be able to just take them out? The ones on the glass..take a razor blade to. The ones on the rock would be the most difficult, you'd probably have to take the individual rocks out and scrape them and tweeze them off or chisel or dremel some of the rock under them. Be careful, though...they will squirt and ooze toxins, so you should wear a sanding mask, eye goggles, and gloves.

just a thought what about takeing out a few pieces of rock and shocking them in like an ice bath? maybe make it easier to pull them off? or maybe a hto bath? just wondering maybe some way to make them let go?

I wish I had some technical advice to give you however I am new to all of this but to me the only thing I would do is either "A" pull them out painstakingly by scraping or one at a time, or "B" napalm those monstrosities. Just kidding about "B"

There are a couple of things you should take into consideration while removing them.

If you are removing them while they are in your tank you run the risk of releasing toxins into your tank. I would make sure to run lots of carbon and do water changes.

If you take them out and shock them, or kill them off with kalk paste you also run the risk of above, plus they will decay in your tank. run carbon and do water changes.

Also they have become part of your tanks biological filtration. They feed of nutrients in your water, with them no longer presant the nutrients will fuel other unwanteds.

Good luck in whatever route you take.

Last edited:
I always giggle about people being "too successful" at growing out corals.......if anything, I like watching the territorial wars of corals to see who wins, just like in nature.

But yes, if they're over-running your tank, everything in moderation. Sell them or trade them off to keep them in control per your expectations,

Wow... Insane.
Amazing that you have so many and yours obviously seem to be thriving while the person that posted below your original post on Anthony's main page has them dying...

Had the same problem with all these blue tubs a while back. Just kidding it was actually the yellow button variety. You know the ones that look a lot like little yellow aptasia. Its easy to overfeed these guys. I removed about 200 in my tank since I could not really justify rearranging my entire aquascape. they are hard to pull off in one piece. I ended up pretty much just smooshing them with a curved hemostat. probably the fastest method on substrate other than sand. I personally noticed no ill effects on the tank afterward even though there was the juice of 200 introduced in an hour. My tank is totally solid though and I would not try that if you dont have good parameters and filtration. I also didnt use gloves but I kept my phone close so I could call 911.

Trade'em and the substrate they're on to other people. That's what I do with em... Not quite as overgrown as yours but that's how I've gotten most of my other corals.

Back