Pond foam question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mal1099

I am getting ready to aquascape my 150 and was wondering if you can use this pond foam wet or does the rock have to be dry and for how long does it have to stay out of water. Im using all live rock and dont really want to have a huge die off.

From what I've heard and read the foam should be used dry and it doesn't take long at all to dry. But i could be mistaken. Just what ive ready here and on reef central.

yes you need to use this dry. i just got done using this stuff. great product. would not stick with the wet rock i had curing. plus it needs to dry for 3 hours. and cure for 24 hours.
i would just get the marco rocks box and make stuff out of it and use your live rock to seed it and sell what you have left over.

thanks for the responses think ill do the large tiewrap method. got to much money invested in my rock atm.

do you need to seal the foam with epoxy for it to be safe or is that to get sand/aragonite/etc to stick to it?

i dont think it would hurt to seal it, i will be sealing mine but also using it to put sand over the black foam to cover it up and make it look nicer.

I am waiting to hear from a friend what he used, i read it on reef central somewhere but i cant remember the name of it.

I used a 2-part "30 minute" slow cure epoxy. I wasn't able to find at HD or Lowes, but Hobby Town has it. BTW, if you buy from Hobby Town, they keep cheap brushes behind the counter that work great for applying the epoxy. If you don't ask them, then all they have out on display are expensive brushes for paint, which will be a complete waste. Get a bunch of brushes since you will only be using each one once.

HTH,

Rob

Does anyone know how to tell if an epoxy is reef safe? I went looking for "30 minute" epoxy but couldn't find it so I bought Elmer's Super Fast Epoxy to glue sand to my pond foam. The ingredients say "TRI(DIMETHYLAMINOETHYL) PHENOL TRIS(DIMETHYLAMINOETHL) PHENOL, EPOXY RESIN.

The box also says that it's "Solvent free - no VOCs", but I have no idea what VOCs are.

Back