Pony tank for the Mrs.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mlheppl

From the time that I got into this hobby 1.5 yrs ago, my wife has been asking for seahorses. I started doing some research on them and had to break the bad news to her. Honey we can't put seahorses in the 135g tank. After my 135g was up for about 8 months, I upgraded my sump from a 30L to a 55g tank. Well the 30L didn't sit empty very long. After it was set up my wife again asked if we could keep seahorses. The 30 has LPS' in it so I had to deny her the seahorses again.

Our anniversary was earlier this month so I purchased a JBJ 24 so that we could finally get her some ponies. I pulled all of the filtration out of the back compartment and put about 5#'s of rubble in it. I also put about 1.5" of fine aragonite sand in the bottom of the tank.

Here's what it looked like set up.

aquarium025.jpg

Here's a close up of the tank:

aquarium018.jpg

And one of the aquascaping:

aquarium029.jpg

I hope you don't mind the long post, but I've got a story to tell you. We set the tank up last Sunday. Monday the tank had cleared up and was starting to look pretty good. Tuesday it looked good, that is when I took the above photos. Here's where the story gets a little bit more interesting. At about 5:00 in the afternoon yesterday I get a call from my wife. She's noticably upset. She tells me that when she got home she hears a loud POP. She checks out the new tank and it's cracked from the top to within a couple of inches from the bottom. While talking to me on the phone, she's syphoning the water out of the tank before it gets all over her carpet. All of a sudden the phone goes dead. I figured I said something stupid, but it turns out that she dropped the phone into the tank. Luckily it's a cordless phone.

Anyways, I call up Pet Solutions, where I ordered the tank from. I explain to the guy what had happened. I told him that I made sure that the tank was leveled when I set it up etc... blah blah blah. Well it turns out that Pet Solutions is a great place to do business with. This morning I had a new tank being sent to me. Now we can continue moving forward with the Mrs.' pony tank.

Here's what the tank looked like when I got home yesterday:

aquarium030.jpg

Last edited:
Woah! Glad they are sending you a replacement! Look forward to seeing the seahorses! Do you know what species she is going to keep?

She's still researching. I think that she really likes the pygmie seadragons, so my guess that is what we'll end up with. Not sure though. We want a pair of pygmiies of some sort though.

Maybe it was a faulty stand hmm....looks like the tank is level...

I'm glad they are replacing it, though, as they should.

What is your source for the seahorses?

- Elmo

Woodstock said:
YIKES!! was it a faulty stand?

I don't know if the stand was faulty or not. I can't see anywhere that it was bowed down from the weight, but it appears that there may be a new stand coming as well. I recieved shipping confirmation this morning and there are two parcels coming, not just one. If there is another stand, I think I'll double the thickness of the top platform that the tank rests on, what do you think of that idea?

Thanks Elmo, that's a good idea. Oh yeah, I forgot to post a link on the ponies. This is one of the better priced places I've found for seahorses.

http://www.seahorsefarms.com/

If my LFS can get them, I may go through him. He'll be a bit more expensive, but try to support him when I can.

Back