Possible Clownfish ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Elmo18

Clownfish
Believe it or not...I am not 100% sure of this one....I have 75% leaning on a certain species, but want to see what you guys think....

needanid.jpg

Best,

Ilham

LOL...If you don't know then I definatly don't. He definately looks part juvenile tomato (from what you told me about their bands) and part black something or maybe just a sunburnt tomato:D

Amphiprion chrysogaster is close, but the pectorals and caudal are wrong.
If I were cornered into making a statement based upon limited knowledge, I would whimper "Hybrid?!?".
The color on the pectorals is reminicient of Amphiprion melanopus. What about a Cinnomon/Sebae clown?

Amphiprion chrysogaster is close, but the pectorals and caudal are wrong.
If I were cornered into making a statement based upon limited knowledge, I would whimper "Hybrid?!?".
The color on the pectorals is reminicient of Amphiprion melanopus. What about a Cinnomon/Sebae clown?

I googled the images on the 2 you suggested (amphiprion chrysogaster and amphiprion melanopus) and they do look quite similar to the clown above. Good observation afishyandaos!

Leaning on a dark A. chrysopterus, but I will wait for the RC clown nuts to reply. Some are nuttier than me lol ;)

- Ilham

hmm dood, just like krish said, if you don't know if how do you expect us to know :D .
hmm i'd say its a black clarkii or a mix of clarkii with black clown which i doubt it.

Ilham,
I'm thinking A. chrysopterus as well.
Nice find. Where'd ya get it? Planning on breeding them?
Nick

Ilham - doesn't the chrysopterus have a whiteish tail? I thought the fishbase photo shows it with a white tail?? Look forward to hearing what the clownfish nuts think :)

Amphiprion chrysopterus has two main variants--the white tail and the orange tail, with the white tails being harder to attain.

I am leaning towards Amphiprion bicinctus-melanistic form, which happens when they associate themselves with certain anemones.

Definitely a nice fish ;)

Best,

Ilham

How big is it Elmo? Now you need to get a mate for it!

Back