Possibly new lighting fixture, need help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

I have a Sunpod 2x250 MH Fixture 14000k...it seems like any corals that go below about 10" in the tank show significantly less color than corals up higher so I was thinking about getting some new lighting. Do you guys think it would be fine selling the sunpod and getting 2x400W pendants in my 75 without having heat issues?

I have a current usa sunpod 36" 2x150w 14k and all my corals have been doing great. Try changing to higher quality bulbs and see if that helps.

It's as close as I can get it...but it seems anything below that rock structure on the right doesn't get too good of growth/color

100_2347.jpg

100_2546.jpg

Where are the lights placed, middle, front, back?How high above the water is the fixture? If it is to close that might be your problem. The light doesn't have time to distribute before it hits the bottom or bounces off somthing. I also see that you have 2 hydor Korolias over on that side. Is it possible that those are blocking the light then casting a shadow?

They're placed a couple inches back from the middle because that's where the rocks are and the koralias aren't under the lights

I'm just trying to see here if hanging 2 400 lamps would be better than 2x250 sunpod...I mean my anemone is at the bottom and it seems to be doing great but everything else below 10-12 inches just doesn't do so well

2 each 250s on a 75 is more than enough. If you are not happy with color, change bulbs. If carals are not happy, it is because of some other issue. Try changing other conditions.
Flow?
DKH?
hidden Nitates?
Phosphates?
Hands in tank too often?
O2 level?

You get the idea

Have you tryed placing some corals lower to see how they would do. I know I have some that do real well down lower. I also run 3 400watters and some corals are 24" down. Best of luck

I'm happy with the color i'm just worried that the new frags I'm getting in won't be! I got calcium around 440/ dkh 9/ ph 8.3/ nitrite ammonia and nitrate 0/ normally my hands have been in the tank recently just to glue frags down and I use Rod's food and formula one flakes, water around here is only about 30 TDS and tests 0 after I use the RO system and haven't had cyano in about 5 months

How old are the bulbs?. Might just need to replace them. I noticed the shots where made one later then the other with a slight hight adjustment by the changes, if you look in the middle arch you see the difference in the ambient intensity. If these are the same lights they need changed IMO.

Last edited:
It's as close as I can get it...but it seems anything below that rock structure on the right doesn't get too good of growth/color

Is it just the stuff on the right, lower down that isn't doing as well as you like? Probably a flow issue if that is the case.

Right lower down, 14000k is my baby! lol its my favorite color bulb but I've switched the bulbs and replaced the ballast and its not the bulbs I think it has to do with the salt creep from the evaporation in the overflow cause I keep having to clean it off and reflecting off the overflow

Also you see the spot in the middle because of the support plastic thing running through the middle that i can't stand! Next tank in the future will be the oceanic ones with starfire front glass or whatever it's called that doesn't need the brace

And believe it or not the left side bulb is the one that got replaced for free by the place I got it from when it went out in the 1st 2 months along with a new ballast

Back