Post your best lies!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Over the years the wife and I have worked out our house hold bills I am responsible for a set amount each week. Any thing over that amount is mine. Some weeks it could be hundreds, Every once and a while I owe the household.
We rarely squabble about money.
I find it best not to lie. Just keep your mouth shut. Ask for forgiveness.

Don W said it best

Lol!! Well I never lie to my wife. I tell her the truth as much as I know she may not like me buying another gadget for the tank. When I got that extra pump I used as an example, that was when I increased the flow on my 38 gal closed loop from one pump to two. I needed it and you always think it's the last thing until something else pops up. You never have your last thing lol. You know this and they know it as well.

I thought the thread would bring out some hidden secrets lol. I actually read a similar article which gave me the thread idea where I heard it all. Anything from, "That fish was always in there don't you remember?" To "I traded a few frags for that coral" when it never happened. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krish,
I'm in the same boat as you.... Wife is all up in my spending on the Tank stuff.

My favorite line is " Listen, I don't drink, go out out partying, golfing or anything anymore so don't complain!"
or "I had to get that skimmer, the old one died...Do you want al those fish and expensive corals to die?"

lol Skimmer was fine, just needed that upgrade..Sold it used and the funds went to the new one.
My new thing is finding useless impulse buys in my house and selling them on Kijiji to fund my reef addiction.. I'm running out of stuff!

Haha!
I dont tell my husband anything either. I just order it, unpack it and put it away. He never notices most things. Its a month later and he is looking at the tank and says "how long has that coral been there?" Now if you know my husbands condition, you will understand how I get away with saying "I just moved it from the other tank a couple days ago!" Or "Oh, I traded another piece of coral for that with so and so a couple days ago!" He's always seeing new stuff and some of it has actually been in the tank for a year or so.
He's getting better though so he's catching the new stuff faster. He actually doesnt mind my spending on this hobby. I'm not spending his money! And its not like I am buying shoes or other useless women stuff!!! ;)

Now thats the kind of women I need in my life! I love my girlfriend,but wishes she enjoys this hobby..

I use yes the tank needs to to survive or all that money spent on pretty corals will die! Or if it's a coral I want to buy I use I need this to recreate the natural surroundings for the fish so they feel at home

Imagine if you and your spouse/GF were both reef addicts...would be a disaster on the bank account!

Now thats the kind of women I need in my life! I love my girlfriend,but wishes she enjoys this hobby..

I feel for you all who's spouses dont partake in the hobby, or at least support you in it.
My husband really enjoys the hobby too. Otherwise I wouldnt have as many tanks as I do. He really supports me in it. He buys coral and fish for me sometimes too. He is talking about setting up his own tank. When I get my 180 set up, I am turning over my 54 corner tank to him. Its established and stable. I need to get the fish and some coral out of it first. He wants to use it for seahorses. Since he is home all day, he should be able to take care of them. I would love for him to keep seahorses.

Funny funny thread guys-n-gals, not as many admitted indiscretions as I thought there would be but after thinking on this a while most do sound vaguely familiar..... but
I'm going with Mike (post #2) on this..... I never lie to his wife either :nono:

Cheers, Todd

I'm lucky in several ways. My wife likes the 2 tanks, she never sees the credit card statement, I'm home from work first so I can snag the BRS boxes before she sees them & she does a decent job buying exercise clothes.

Mine was, I'll set up a frag system and it will pay for the 250 gallon system, no money outta pocket....

Back