Post your meeting ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Heres an idea for you guys - Treatments.........We just had a meeting where one of our LFS talked about AEFW and 'redbugs' along with their treatments of what worked and didn't. Made it a round table kinda thing with people throwing in their $.02 from experience.

Turned out to be a great meeting and the members learned alot.

Could talk about anything as there is always a 'newbie' that hasn't dealt with something yet.

Ohh yeah.. I like that one. We could do like a parasite/unwanted critter/treatment combo. And, anyone who is interested (i.e me) could chip in for some interceptor or something. great idea!

We like hearing what people want. It's interesting, as we have a lot of new members now and the feedback I've received previously is everyone was tired of hearing the same ole thing so we have been trying to find new voices and different topics and doing different things. We will keep all these topics in mind as we or the new board begins to schedule for the new year.

Dont miss Frank's talk in a couple weeks, as he will touch on many of this subjects.

Revive this one more time with some more ideas

• Have someone talk about the vodka dosing method
  • Someone like DonW talk about automation and other innovative ideas
  • Someone like Mark (skimerwhisperer) talk about skimmer optimization and let him advertise for BR and sell mesh mod kits
  • another workshop on acrylic
  • fish/invert compatibility
  • disease/pathogen/bug/AEFW ID and treatment
  • water movement (try to bring in someone like Andy from Icecap or one of the engineers on the Vortech) Alternately talk about the mods to popular PHs and pumps to increase their capacities. Talk about different types of flow (laminar, random, surge, wave, etc.) and ways to create them.
  • Tank tours of new tanks...I know it's difficult, but they don't have to be 300+ gallon tanks. There is a lot to learn from a 30 gallon tank. More importantly, new members probably aren't going to run out and setup a 300 gallon tank (some will....I know).

I recently went to Fiji and visited Walt Smith Int. While I was there I learned quite a bit about the Fijian Reefs as I did 33 dives in 9 days.

I also have visited my friends in Hawaii in the past years and have learned how the collection process happens. I don't know if that has ever been covered.

On top of that I have honed in my Underwater picture taking skills and would be happy to talk about the art of Underwater picture taking. I am not a pro, but with the gear available now it is much easier to get professional looking pictures.

Let me know if I can be of help, either speaking or as a Location.

Photos Removed By Request - MtnDewMan

Meeting idea:

I would like to have a photography workshop for people with digital cameras on how to take good pics of your reef. White balance, macro shots, all that good stuff. Have somebody there who's pretty good and willing to help the rest of us.

I would really like to know more about calcium reactors, but i also like the idea of these ones too;

# Aggressive fish (i.e. lions, eels, etc.)
# Fish only setups
# cold water tanks
# aquascaping hands on meeting with live rock, zip ties, drills, acrylic rod, and lots of epoxy
# Equipment maintenance meeting (skimmer/CA Reactor setup & care, lighting maintenance, pump maintenance, etc.)

Thanks, can't wait for it :)

-augustus

...how the collection process happens. I don't know if that has ever been covered.

-the art of Underwater picture taking. I am not a pro, but with the gear available now it is much easier to get professional looking pictures.

Let me know if I can be of help, either speaking or as a Location.

Meeting idea:

I would like to have a photography workshop for people with digital cameras on how to take good pics of your reef. White balance, macro shots, all that good stuff. Have somebody there who's pretty good and willing to help the rest of us.

I'm not a member "yet" but probably will be soon ;)
so I figure my opinion dosn't count for much:|

but I'm really new to the hoby,
I'd be interested mostly in some sort of "Workshop" refugiums, maintenance, fragging, and especially reef Photography, ect...

I'd also love to see a meeting at Shark Reef in Silverdale.
from what I've read, he hosted one about a year ago.
and posted that he would be willing to do so again.

Russ

+1 on these too

# aquascaping hands on meeting with live rock, zip ties, drills, acrylic rod, and lots of epoxy
# Equipment maintenance meeting (skimmer/CA Reactor setup & care, lighting maintenance, pump maintenance, etc.)

Here are a few of my ideas:

There are lots of workshop suggestions for DIY stuff (calc reactors, skimmers).
What if we had a meeting announcement that had a paypal link for the supplies?
Say we are doing one for protein skimmers. You click the link and pay your $50 or whatever. Based on the number of paying students, some of the subject matter experts from the club get together and buy the supplies in bulk and have the stuff all precut.
We all show up for the meeting and non-students can watch and listen while paying students build their skimmer under the watchful eye of our instructor members.

Buying the components bulk saves on shipping and wasted scraps. If the price is set right, the instructor members could possibly be paid a token of appreciation from the leftovers. Or any leftover money could be used for building some extra units for door prizes or raffle.

-------------------------

On a totally different note, but equally interactive, we could all bring in sand samples from our tanks or refugium. We could bring in some borrowed microscopes with camera attachments. Then we could look at how lively different members sand in and the pictures could be put in a slideshow. This could also be displayed live with a video camera hooked to a microscope. A computer projector would be great for this.
If this were combined with a talk on refugiums or deep sand beds, I bet it would be a hit.

How about a meeting where members make their own artificial live rock from aragocrete like here: http://www.garf.org/class.html
This could be combined with a talk about why you might want to do this.

A talk on tips and trick to avoid disaster might be nice. For instance what safeguards can be put in place to keep from flooding your carpet, or worse, your neighbors below you. If a large snail decides to crawl into the external overflow box and blocks the siphon tube to the sump, what will happen. If the power goes out, is anything bad going to happen immediately? How much time do you have, and what key equipment might be good to have on a battery backup system? Just a few ideas along that line.

What about a discussion on the types of tasks that are easy to automate? Dosing, feeding, cleaning…

making your owl live rock:

That was intended to be "making your OWN live rock." :)

Here is another link:
http://www.garf.org/howtodoinformation.htm#Aragonite

I just made a "reef table" a couple days ago and it was a lot of fun. I like the way it turned out. It basically looks like a flat reef rock with some legs sticking down. You put it down as your base layer that gets mostly buried in sand rather than half burying your "premium" live rock in your sand bed.

This will definitely be a fun group project.

yeah, if you guys ever wanna do a skimmer workshop, i'd be more than happy to help with design,etc.. there's some fairly cheap things you can do and still get high performance...or also, skimmer modification as well, everyone has a crappy skimmer lying around...alot of them can be modified to work worth a damn...(of coarse some are destin for utter failure their whole lives, no matter what you do to them)

Back