Post your meeting ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

Here is your chance to help decide who talks at our meetings and what they talk about. Please post what and/or who you want us to try to get at the meetings, what you want to do for meetings, or any other thoughts you'd like us to take into consideration when laying out this years schedule.

Do you want a fragging meeting?
Frag swap?
Talks about fish? FOWLR setups?

Throw out your ideas...it's your club. We, the board of directors, are just here to make it happen.

I think it would be cool if we could have some small workshop type meetings thrown in once inawhile. At least for demo purposes...I don't know, maybe a fragging demo or setting up things like CA reactors and stuff. Maybe do it like a little "science fair". Some of you experts could have little booths or tables with different things for us novices to look at and learn about...especially us "tactile-visual" learners. :D

How about a "swap meet"? We could have everyone bring things they want to sell or trade.

Snobanker's ideas sound great to me also... I'm losing it again on the skimmer workshop - I still don't get the hole cutting jig without seeing it. And 2 years worth of ideas on paper for a calcium reactor that isn't built yet.

Thanks,
Jon

What about some photography "class" for all of us with fancy cameras and no clue what all the terminology means or whatever??

The CA reactor would be a great workshop but the members would have to buy the parts and we could have someone help guide the instruction.

Some of the work shop ideas might not even have to include actual construction....I'm even referring to just setting one up and how to run one etc :D

All the people in this forum and this is all of the ideas we can shake out?

What about how to export nutrients?
How, What and Why to feed your tank?

What else do you want to know about...if you are wondering several others are too..so let's get the ideas out here.

Ok, speaking for Shilo (since we can't get her logged on for some reason); she would like to hear a meeting about fish, clowns in particular. She is bound and determined to raise them in the future and is reading her second book about them.

Shilo and Colleen

I think all these ideas are great. It would give us a chance to see some of the things we all discuss here. Reed are you making a list?

LOL...Stan, this is the list. I'll compile one later, but the whole idea is that we just take this thread as our start point for planning future meetings.

What about macroalgae

How about a talk on macroalgae? With examples of different types. Information on water flow and lighting for optimal growth. Which ones can be used for food (tangs, etc.). Liklihood of going asexual. etc.

actually id realy like to see a how to set up equipment meeting and a fragging how too/swap would be great as well

Just wanted to revive this to give people a chance to chime in with ideas....

A few of mine at the moment:
  • Info on the Elos line of Zeoliths (Barrier Reef carries these)
  • Aggressive fish (i.e. lions, eels, etc.)
  • Fish only setups
  • refugium use, setup, and maintenance
  • technology advances in reef keeping (i.e. flow alternatives, lighting, filtration)
  • tank automation (limitations, pros, cons, choices)
  • cold water tanks
  • aquascaping hands on meeting with live rock, zip ties, drills, acrylic rod, and lots of epoxy
  • Equipment maintenance meeting (skimmer/CA Reactor setup & care, lighting maintenance, pump maintenance, etc.)
  • Dive photography from around the world (allow members to submit pics for a slide show. Group the pics by location so people can see what the reefs in the Caribbean, Australia, Hawaii, red sea, look like.

Great Reedman - awesome.

From your list, I really liked these 4 in particular:
  • tank automation (limitations, pros, cons, choices) - maybe could even have little handouts prepared with instructions and equipment lists.
  • aquascaping hands on meeting with live rock, zip ties, drills, acrylic rod, and lots of epoxy
  • refugium use, setup, and maintenance
  • technology advances in reef keeping (i.e. flow alternatives, lighting, filtration)
Additionally, could have:
  • Coral propogation - from small scale (frag tanks) to big scale (ORA, GARF, etc) - what to consider? how to get started? why not to get started? etc.
for Speakers, Anthony Calfo and Kevin Pockell would be on my wish list.

Last edited:
I would definitely like to see pictures taken from real reefs. Perhaps the combined slideshow from such a presentation could be indexed and posted here.

got to thinking some more.. this may be a little out there, but we could have a --- > Build your own stand & canopy workshop - w/ tips & tricks, what to consider, what to avoid, would be nice to have some basic plans to hand out to folks, etc.

Heres an idea for you guys - Treatments.........We just had a meeting where one of our LFS talked about AEFW and 'redbugs' along with their treatments of what worked and didn't. Made it a round table kinda thing with people throwing in their $.02 from experience.

Turned out to be a great meeting and the members learned alot.

Could talk about anything as there is always a 'newbie' that hasn't dealt with something yet.

Back