Post your tank size and flow numbers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a 10gal nano with somewhere around 700 gal/hour flow in it so approx 70x turnover rate. Pretty awsome if you ask me.

Tim

Reviving an old thread here...

I'm trying to find "the sweet spot" of flow in my 30 gallon cube. I tried a 1200 gph Koralia and I could barely see through the particulate storm. Am I the only person having this problem with that amount of flow? I'm thinking I need to downgrade to a 600 gph version of the Koralia.

Help? :confused:

I'm trying to find "the sweet spot" of flow in my 30 gallon cube. I tried a 1200 gph Koralia and I could barely see through the particulate storm. Am I the only person having this problem with that amount of flow? I'm thinking I need to downgrade to a 600 gph version of the Koralia.

how new is your tank? do you have a sand bed? you know when you alter water flow or increase flow there is always a time period when the water is murky, it should overtime clear up even with the 1200 gph, if not try adjusting the direction of flow

This tank is pretty new, it's only been up for 6-8 weeks. It is a bare bottom but there is a little very fine dust/sand on the bottom that I can't completely eliminate.

I wondered about whether it would clear up but it didn't clear at all after 20 minutes and so I put my old AquaClear 50 back in there, instead. This time it mostly cleared 20 minutes after the switch.

How much flow do you think I need in a 30 gallon species tank for anemone/clown, and clam?

There are always those generic guideline numbers that say 10-20x for softies, 30x for SPS. Whatever. I run 1740gph in my 38 (45x), with a DSB. I'm in the middle of an upgrade to a 120, where I'll be running about 5000gph (42x) as a starting point. Personally, I'd run as much flow as I could without kicking up too much sand. An occasional little shift in the sand because of flow is perfect, IMO. That said, you can run a lot more flow with a wide, soft pattern (Seio, Hydor, Tunze) than out of small jets (Maxijet, etc.) because the wide, soft pattern carries more water over all, but less velocity in the water so it won't kick up as much sand or debris. I'm thoroughly convinced your corals will like it better, as well.

I have a 90 gallon and have the following:

1800 Closed Loop
1400 - Two Koralia pumps
500 - Return

3700 GPH / 90 = 41X

All with a DSB and no disturbance! I will more than likely add another Koralia.

i have two tunze nano 6025 in a 55gl lps sps tank plus 2000lph protien skimmer pump
and in my 32gl softy tank i have a seios m820 a m620 and an ehimie pump dont know l/ph bust is close to 2000 and an little mjet 900
im not sure if i just need to add all the pump speeds togeather to get a totall flow rate and divide by tank size not sure but i feel this is a pretty good flow rate

since all the water flow is coming from one pump, tha water is gong in just one direction, I think I would probably have 2-600gph instead of the one 1200gph. you can then face them to each other so there is caotic flow all ove the place. I run BB also and I gave up on not having debri on the bottom, what I have done now is to have the flow push the debri to a corner where I can get it easier.
I have on my 55gal, 6 seios 820, 1 maxi jet mod, plus I run about 1200 gph on my sump, and I still get stuff on the bottom. For the clam, find a nice spot were the mantle is not getting blasted.

Ok since Krish asked, I'll post up some numbers

75 gallon mixed reef

Sequence Reefflo Dart closed loop :3600gph@ zero feet

Mag7 sump return 700 gph@ zero feet

the thing for newbies to remember is even though my dart says it puts out 3600 gph of flow after all the twists and turns the plumbing makes it drastically cuts down on ACTUAL flow to the tank. Im guessing Im getting about 2000-2500gph actual flow, couldnt tell you for sure b/c I havent measured actual flow

hth

add to this an ecotech pump at about half throttle

we have:
2 maxi 1200s: 590
1 maxi 400: 106
1 seo 820: 800
mag9 return: 950, about 500 with head loss before the scwd mod

thats roughly 2000gph /70g total volume w/sump. right about 28.5x turnover in our 58g display. we had issues with clarity for the first month or so, but now the sand doesnt move unless provoked.

300 cube.
2 tunze 6100s= 2x 3175
2 tunze 6200s 2 x 5280
Dolphin 2100 return pump= 1700

So 18610 total. Its just a little swirling motion.

Back