Potter's Angelfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surfzone

I love this fish, but I haven't heard much about them. I just wanted to know if anyone has kept one in their reef with much success?

I once kept a potters in a simple reef with some soft corals successfully. It enjoyed munching on the caulerpa mexicana and prolifera as a primary food sourse. Mine was a very docile fish and I was quite fond of it.

More importantly, welcome to this wonderful site full of nice people generous with their information and experience.

It is a Centropige angel endemic to Hawaii. It is called the Potter's angel because they used to be much cheaper than the more popular flame angel. They need algae in their diet and are somewhat hardy if properly cared for.

thanks for the warm welcome. one of my LFS has one and i wasn't sure how well they are in captivity. i have heard conflicting things about this fish. i guess if they com in and are eating well and on a wide range of things they should do alright in my tank. However, like all angels, his reef safeness is questionable.

Not a problem, two live for three purchased over 3 years. 66% survival rate in a very limited statistic sample. LOL
Mine and one I care for, do not bother clams, shrimp, sponges, one seems to like to mouth at gorgonian corals. They still stay open and seem to have no problem with it.

he is going into a mostly SPS with a few LPS ( Acans, Frogspawn, and cynorina) if he starts picking at the LSP well i'll just move the LPS to another tank. i also have a large amount of sponge in my tank. do they like to pick at sponge like other angels?

I had a potters angel that went into my at the time 180g sps/clam tank with my copperband. It began eating right away with not a single problem. It in fact taught my copperband to eat. It did awesome and never touched a sps coral of any of my clams. It lived for close to 5 years. Absolutely awesome fish. Colors galore.

one of my favorite dwarf angels, i had mine for many years as well, i too was lucky, he never ate any of my corals or clams, and had no problem eating frozen and dry foods. awesome fish! you dont see then as much anymore...

Back