power head For Skimmer Bubble

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mytilus

im trying to use a PH but the venturi does not work if there is any back pressure. I have a aquaclear 50 (402) . Many years ago i never heard of using a PH for skimmer bubbles . I did not think they can produce a fine enough bubble. I was going to try to insert the airline into the impellor area but it seems to be not possible cos there is no access to the impeller. Any suggestions would help, Thanks

Last edited:
I'd bet that you have the venturi on the output of the pump before the skimmer.

Have you tried placing the venturi on the input of the pump? You can adjust the ammount of air that enters the venturi so that it will not cavitate the pump.

I looked up your pump and if this is the same pump then I think this will solve the problem. You may want a small valve on the end of the air line to controll how much air is sucked in.

The venturi on the powerhead does no goood if there is a lot of head pressure after the skimmer. Water comes out of the venturi.

I realize that the "stock venturi" won't work for your application.

Maxijet powerheads have the same problem when trying to use their "outlet venturi". That is why they offer a small kit to draw air into the "inlet" of the pump. This is the modification:
turbokit.jpg

maxijet%201200.jpg

Don't use your "outlet venturi" plug the little hole. If you click on the images in my previous post it will show the simple modification I believe will solve your problem. This mod will allow your pump to draw in air, chew up the bubbles, and spit them into your skimmer with more power.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help stacey. I did that mod back in sepetember when i posted this topic. It works great!
Aloha

Back