power head ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i was thinking of adding power heads to move waste of of the rocks, to help with clean up, what is the best ones to use that have the widest patterns

If you don't have the bucks for the Tunze, the Seio models are not bad for making a wide flow area.

I guess it also depends on what you have in your tank. I use 2 Seio 1500's in my 180 soft coral tank.

I agree it depends on what you have in your tank, I use Rio powerheads. They aren't that expensive and give good flow for their size.

Tim

Last edited:
I have (2) tunzes and love them. I also have (2) Seio's I took out and I liked them too. Price wise you can't beat the Seio's because you'll pay around $200for a Tunze that will give you in the area of 2000 gph whereas you can get a Seio putting out 2600 gph for $70. It depends on what you want and like. Both IMO are great powerheads with wide flow. HTH

I have been thinking of switching to tunze...I hear there the best..But my tank is a 90 gal and i have about 3000 gph flow rate.Don't no how much more current i need ...

I have been thinking of switching to tunze...I hear there the best..But my tank is a 90 gal and i have about 3000 gph flow rate.Don't no how much more current i need ...

Well, it's all about placement too. I know I've dropped four inches off of my tanks height with the swap and lost a few lbs of LR, but with the new placement on the Tunze's I've noticed a great improvement on detritus being lifted off of the rocks. I just did my regular weekly water change and I always blow off the rocks with a little maxi jet I have before siphoning and not much came off the rocks. It was a great improvement over the 90. I have 4,175 gph in my 75 gal now and I'm honestly considering one more Tunze! There's one more place I'd like to put a Tunze, which has flow now, just wished it was a little stronger. If you are concerned about having too much flow, ask Don (DonW) about his flow(LOL) He has 10,000 gph in a 4ft tank!

10 Gs ...My god thats a river of flowage....Well its either 2 tunze or 4 max-jets with wavemaker.I think im leaning towards yhe wavemaker my freind (coralbandit) Has one and it seems when the powerheads turn on short 60 sec burst that corals seem to get a mix of different amounts of current.From different directions,Resulting in a swaying type motion.Corals all seem to thrive and grow rapidily...So many Questions....:)

yes the wavemaker is nice but if there is another way to replicate natural conditions I wood like to know..

So this discussion brings me to a question. I have a 55 gallon reef with soft corals, and everyone seems to be talking about a lot more flow than I was ever recommended. Eventually I want to do sps's but that is a ways in the future. How much flow do all of you think I should have in a tank my size? At what point will my corals be buffeted too much? I have about 80lb of live rock and I only have a handfull of corals right now.

Moortim, I guess you will have to see how everything reacts to what you have and then go from there. I typically throw a few flakes in my tank to see where the flow takes it. That way you can find your dead spots. Steve (Wrightme 43) has an amazing 75 gal tank and all he is using for flow is 1,500 gph return through a sea-swirl and 1 Tunze (1850 gph with controller) and his tank is doing great as you can see by his photos. So you can do well without "crazy" flow. You just need it placed correctly. HTH

It seems to me that .When ever i think igot it rite ..I still don't got it rite ..Who knows now that im a member of RF...I will have to go back and look at some of my photos on a couple of months..Cause i spend so much time watching my tank it looks like nothings growing.I find myself counting polyps......???....LOL....:):D

moortim said:
So this discussion brings me to a question. I have a 55 gallon reef with soft corals, and everyone seems to be talking about a lot more flow than I was ever recommended. Eventually I want to do sps's but that is a ways in the future. How much flow do all of you think I should have in a tank my size? At what point will my corals be buffeted too much? I have about 80lb of live rock and I only have a handfull of corals right now.
Like krish said see what works for you and your tank ..If you have questions that need answers im sure you can find them here...Good luck....Always glad to hear there is another reefer....

It seems to me that .When ever i think igot it rite ..I still don't got it rite ..Who knows now that im a member of RF...I will have to go back and look at some of my photos on a couple of months..Cause i spend so much time watching my tank it looks like nothings growing.I find myself counting polyps......???....LOL....

LOL...Join the club! I'm always doing something new. Not sure if it is because I don't think I have it right or that I just have to be doing something(LOL) But yeah, it's been a while so I will order that new Tunze next week. Shhhh...My wife doesn't know yet:)

Kirsh your hands have got to hurt because i swear yestarday.Your post total still in the 3's.MY GOD..........LOL.........And hows that terrible tang....Any new fish yet?

Back