Power loss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

No Power
Try to get to get some some type of flow going even if you have to use a pitcher and scoop water and pour it back in on a regular basis. For heat ??? Might help if you wrap the tank in a blanket.

I myself have a generator, Heaters, return pump and a powerhead.
Good luck
Anybody else have ideas or tricks??

No generator here so we are just keeping our fingers crossed. Still have power (knock on wood) but ALL of downtown Puyallup is out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My power has been out all night,and I can't my damn generator started ....arhhhh. got a power cord from the truck running a power head but no heat

Moj

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bummer guys! Lets hope for the best! Eww I must be near u becuase were up on the hill and we had are lights flicker last night but i dont think we lost power... it would be really bad if i lost power and i was stuck here at work not knowing! :eek:

Anyone with a reef tank should invest in at least a small power inverter for power outages. An 800 watt inverter hooked up to your car battery can run alot of equipment.

A 2000 watt generator hooked up the the main breaker of your house can make your life enjoyable during a power outage. a 5000 watt geny is even better

Either way, the $60 for an inverter or $600 for a cheap generator can relieve a massive amount of stress.

belkin makes a battery back up that will automaticly switch on if power is out the off and charge when power is on.

If my power went out, I would try to encase the sides of the tank in styrofoam to keep heat in, and use a pitcher to airate the water. If the temp started going too low, I would take some tank water out, heat it on the stove with stirring (for aration) and then add it back into the sump.

I really need to get a generator at some point though. Up until now I have been lucky

Yes, time for me to pull out the generator and unfortunately having to tromp through 15"+ of snow to get gas can out of shed in back yard. And still snowing right now at about 1.5 inch per hour, going to be REAL UGLY up here if we also get that freezing rain on top.

Stay safe All, and home if you can be.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. you can use chemical handwarmers in a zip-lok bag, just have to open it up every so often to get oxygen to it. The re-usable ones with the Zinc chip? would be even better

Last edited:
P.S. you can use chemical handwarmers in a zip-lok bag, just have to open it up every so often to get oxygen to it. The re-usable ones with the Zinc chip? would be even better

Todd, another good tip that should be added to the beginners handbook :)

Yea I got a 75k Gen?? But for some reason it wont run. Changed gas plug and so on but no go.

It like a war zone here,trees falling branches comming down like Missles. Had to be 30 plus trees down within a mile of the house.

Mike

mike,

wow...be safe...

has the spark plug or carburetor been cleaned and/or changed???

I invested in the guardian generator two years ago too. Its been a life saver a few times. Generators are a definate necessary piece of equipment for a marine aquarium.

Now I just need something to periodically clean the snow off the sattellite dish. I have to go back out and do it again!

Ethanol is a generator killer, gumming up the carbs., even gas that sits a long time will gum up. Propane or natural gas buns much cleaner less issues. Just to toss in some info. Mike If you have a gas gen with old gas, soak it with carb. cleaner, heavily!

If not, well.. umm hang in there.

did u try the old "spray the carb with octane booter/gas/carb cleaner" to get it to fire up?

Yea I got a 75k Gen?? But for some reason it wont run. Changed gas plug and so on but no go.

It like a war zone here,trees falling branches comming down like Missles. Had to be 30 plus trees down within a mile of the house.

Mike

I'm on my backup. My property is loaded with some old growth trees dropping tree sized branches. Some branches are 8" to 12" talk about scary and loud when they fall. I think the weather aka Q13 is just a bit off, this is going to last a while!

Generators are a definate necessary piece of equipment for a marine aquarium.

Lorrie,

agreed. For large systems, IMO, it needs to be included in your budget with the tank, sump,skimmer, etc...

Yea I tried the Carb cleaner an no go. Really hard to work on it. We had 5 more trees fall over and the big trees are sending down missles constantly. Got the family relocated so I am sitting in the truck right now with the inverter going, but I think I am going to loose some fish for sure.

Mike

Mike,

wow...too bad you arent closer, I have a couple of holding tanks we could house them until weather improves. :)

Back