Power loss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

In Mike's case. The needle valve is probably stuck closed. About the only way to fix it is to get into the float bowl and clean it manually.

get into the float bowl and clean it manually

yeah what Duane said.. :D :D

So for us unmechanically inclined (ie, Me) :), can u pls tell me what the heck a float bowl is ?

Pulled the float bowl and did a quick clean/flush but nothing dramatic. Eric is coming over with a mechanic so keeping fingers crossed. Inverter is just on a mag 5 running

Mike

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

:( Mike, I feel terrible for you. Snowing heavily here in Idaho, but we typically avoid the freezing rain this far inland. I live in an area that tends to avoid the heaviest snow, and we still have a foot on the ground. Putting 'generator' on my shopping list and a note on my calendar to test it every month...

Can you fire up the grill and heat up some rodi water and place bags of saltwater in it to heat up and then put those in the tank to raise the tank temp and if the bags leak its okay cause its saltwater.
Just an idea.
you have a gas grill and a crab pot?

If we were closer you could borrow a generator that would run the entire tank at least.

Last edited:
Lost power in Sammamish for probably 17 hours. Moved my maroon clown and rose bubbles to the sump from the little garage tank last night. Tank temp dropped to 69 when power came back on at 1:00AM and was at 70 when I left for work at 5:30. I need to get my generator in for repair; starts and runs but no idle control or voltage at the outlets. Only 44.3 hours on a Honda powered DeVilbiss. Not real happy about that. Anyway, looked in the tank and sump this morning and everything looks OK. I guess I'll just have to watch my sig today, hope the lights stay on, and hope I don't have a crash.

Mike

Big thanks to Eric and mechanic guru buddy. We did some open heart surgery on the gen last night and got it running. Anyway tank got down to 67 so not sure what will live. The power head hit the sand so the tank is still cloudy, shouldn't be any nasties in their as it is pretty new. Anyway it was nice to have heat and a bit of power for stuff. In driving for gas this morning and seeing the carnage its going to be days before we see power again.

Anyway got all the neighbors over warming up. Thanks again Eric

Mike

Lost power for four hours yesterday morning. Tanked only dropped about 5 degrees so nothing lost... Tank sits next to gas fireplace - luckily the fireplace still comes on without power....

mike,

so what was the cause of the generator not working??

That's a good question.
Alot of us don't service out generators regularly. I learned that lesson myself two years ago but got lucky and simply topping my tank off with new gas did the trick for me.

Kirk, did you ever get the answer for the float bowl? Not too common on our cars anymore but AFAIK is part of all our small engines. AKA lawn mower, chain saw, weed eater, generator and the list goes on.

It ended up being gummed up stuff in the Carb. We took it apart, used some wire and contact cleaner to clean up the ports and such and then cranked it up..

Mike

I hooked up my scuba tank and purged air in my tanks at times to oxygenate the water and hoped the cheap gas fireplace kept enough heat.
the tank dropped 11 degrees by the time I got power but so far everything looks good.

Close call - I will be looking for a backup plan now besides my scuba gear and cheap fire place.

duane..

i did..thnks....

reminds me need to get the lawnmower serviced...it starts, vrooms, then stops...it was serviced last yr and stop working for some reason...i wish i knew something about lawn mowers to save some money...

duane..

i did..thnks....

reminds me need to get the lawnmower serviced...it starts, vrooms, then stops...it was serviced last yr and stop working for some reason...i wish i knew something about lawn mowers to save some money...

LOL, Ive been fighting with my lawn mower for two years now because I put it away in the fall without a second thought. Each spring I open the float bowl and fight to get it running good for the summer. Thank god I take better care of my generator. My fish are obviously more important to me than my lawn.

Mojo!!!
Sorry to hear of your problem!! I lost my cable and phone with my power. If I could have followed this tread I would have been able to help.
The Quarter Midgets we raced worked the same way. I have had to pull the bowl, and clean the jets more than once in our racing stint.
Hope your temp is up!

BTW charge up your phone. LOL I tried to call.

Well I think I am very lucky, lost power Thursday Morning at 8am and it was out for almost 24 hours. I borrowed a friends Honda 2000 generator. It is very small and relatively quiet. It ran a Vortech MP20, heater, and Mag 7 return pump. Also hooked up a little ceramic disc portable heater to keep the bedroom toasty. Will be buying one for myself before next winter. Have decided with 1000 dollars in livestock it isnt worth taking chances, besides the wife liked being warm, so its an easy sale.

Good luck to all those who are still without power, prayers and thoughts r with u.
Ichy

17 hours no power on sammamish plateau too ,,lucky i don't have the big reef tank in garage anymore,,just Oum 40bdr in the house is bad enough ,she covered her tank with the blanket,,still 60 degree when the power come back on.

Last edited:
Back