Power Outtages - Preparation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mrktplayer

Apparently the power at my apartment is out right now, and since the winter months are around the corner I wanted to ask what you do or use during power outtages.

I'm thinking battery powered aerators. I can't exactly have a generator, so what could I do to prepare for power outtages?

tia

one thing no one ever told me about was drilling a siphon break in the return so your sump doesnt flood if the power goes out!! my return went all the way down to the sand in the display, so it drained the whole tank!!! learned that one the hard way... i have no idea what to for energy though .. interested to see...

Last edited:
I used to use an inverter and 12 volt battery to drive smaller high efficiency pumps such as air (rising in a large tube to create laminar flow), rio and or eheims. Amazing how long an auto battery will power them. Recharge them in your car if long outage or with charger when power is back.

I browsed around real quick. Cheapest generator I found is about $300, and the power inverters are about $40. I think I'll get the inverter. What do I need to run in a 50 gallon in order for all the livestock to survive? Air and powerheads? Obviously the skimmer won't be running and I could do water changes to counter that problem.

As long as you can keep the water up to temperature and moving with the top off, should be fine. While underpowered, best to under-feed. That way no need for extra changes:)

Small well placed powerheads, a small return pump, and an airstone in a large tube will do it great. That is what I used for years on my old 90.

Temperature and circulation are your main concerns. I too live in an apartment, and am in the same boat with the generator. I plan on picking up an inverter and using 2 UPS that are capable of running my circulation for 12 hours a piece( http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Techn...88-0135900?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1189542283&sr=8-3 ). Ill run the inverter off my car if I need to heat the tank, or charge one of the UPS. By having two UPS, I will always be able to have one charging, and one running things.

Bilge pump and a battery will last about 10hrs and can be set up too turn on automaticly. Inverters are ok but keep in mind they use power themselves along with what ever is plugged into them. Very cheap to set up.

Don

Ive bin investing in a genarator, thats your best bet for sure.. but if you cant

a Diy setup..

5, or 6, 500 CCA batterys a inverter a solor panel some wire a braker, waaalaaa!

or something like that..

id say the eazyest thing is gonna be a large battery a super long power cord, a inverter.
you can do it a few ways... ither leave the car runing... (let the car be the genarator) the inverter to the cable... and the cable to the tank...

gotta watch what your powering tho.

i would set a battery in the house. on a peace of wood the inverter next to the battery and long cable from the car to the battery to keep the battery charged....

dependin on what your pwoering and what your useing.. is gonna make the diffrence on time and equipment used...

this is a (right around this time of year thread)

type industrial battery at yahoo...

im looking for a super large battery. that would be able to be converted to ac or just be ac.... I dont think it will be cheap but im looking

Back