Power Sweep-power head

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijikid

Hello All!

I came back from vacation and found that one of my powerhead stopped working. I have been looking at the "Power Sweep" which is an automatic self-rotating powerhead and wavemaker, but I would like to get your opinion out there. What do you think? Also if this is not an effeciant unit or this type I should get, what do you recommend?

Thank you!!:)

Back in the fresh water days I always liked those because of the sweeping motion but they never lasted long. They always stopped sweeping. I haven't thought to try in salt water as I figured with salt they might even fail more often/sooner.

I wasted mine so you dont have too. LOL

Ditto for me as well Mine failed because Coraline algae build up
Don't waste your money if you want it for the power sweep :rolleyes:

very very short operational life. Waste O money in my opinion.
I wasted mine so you dont have too. LOL

Last edited:
I used one and tossed if after a few months. It stopped rotating and I figured it was too bulky to keep just as a powerhead especially with the limited flow:)

Ditto here also! Mine stopped working 2 months later. I cleaned it well and it worked again for about a week.:(

GARBAGE!!! i have 2 right now in my 20g coral tank..they never rotate!! they quit after a few weeks!!!!

you guys were lucky to get yours to run for 2 + weeks! mine worked for 2 days then I would take it apart fix it. then it would quit again a day later.

but after all said and done I still use them! not in my tank but I use them to mix saltwater in the buckets lol!

i still use mine just for flow..it hardly rotates at all!!!!.i point them in one direction and that is pretty much the only place that gets flow!!

Thank you ALL for your feedback. So it sounds like Maxi jet is the way to go, right? Do you recomend any other brands of power heads?

:)

I like hagen powerheads.
The 70 is the old 802. Awesome pwr heads. I have one that has been running for 4 years. It was in my chiclid tank, then my first reef tank, then moved to rodi circulation and pump out. Its running right now. It stays on all the time.

SEIO'S..they are pretty cheap and put out a very wide flow, not like the very narrow flow of the maxi-jets..i have a SEIO 620...it doesn't look like it is moving alot of water because it is such a wide flow...i would go with a bigger one, depending on your tank size and needs

Well I feel lucky then that mine kept sweeping for about 7 months!! LOL. The two I bought are still working, just no longer sweep. I was considering buying another now that I have some Acro, but this thread pretty much knocked that idea out of my head.

I had mine as long as it took to put it in the tank, then take it out....the head kept falling off the mount

Back