powerhead placement?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jennwest

I'm wondering if I should change the placement of the powerheads in my 29 gallon biocube. The one that comes in the tank was upgraded- but I don't know to what! But that one is pointed straight and up on the surface. I have a koralia 240 directly across from that on the top left front corner that is going towards the opposite back right corner. In the back right corner I have a koralia 425 facing the direction of the 240. Is there a better configuration?

A diagram would help but also what are you planning to keep in the tank? It will make a big difference in how much flow you need and where to point it. Also your rock work will make a differnce too.

For instance in my 90 g I can create a higher or lower flow based on which angle the PH's/return are in relation to the aquascape. Its more of how the water moves compared to xy or z amount you are actually pushing from the PH, if you create a circular motion the flow will be uniterupted and you will get more movement maybe even too much but if you disrupt the flow by say pointing the PH's at a rock or something you will have less movement. It really depends on what you are keeping/ plan on keeping. You don't want your sand flying all around but you do want good suface agitation and flow on the rocks. I can't be anymore specific without a picture. Hope this is helpful.

Here is a picture that helps show where the power heads are. I plan on getting more coral, mostly mushrooms, ricordia, acans, kenya tree, etc. I used to only have 2 power heads but my ph was low so I added another one which helped a lot. Now I am just wondering it there's a better way to position them..I'm not sure the back of the tank gets much flow.
1JumO.jpg

Take care that the flow that the powerhead creates doesn't allow the big sweepers to land on other not so aggressive guys. My GF put in a small power head in her 55 and it caused her tree to bend over. She re-aimed and all of a sudden her Mean Bubble was throwing sweepers really close to her Goni.... she made some changes and now the Bubble stings the glass it sits next too!

Back