Powerhead recommendations please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I've got two MP40W's in my tank but I'm concerned that I need more flow. I'd love to put one of EcoTech's MP60's in there but I simply can't justify that much money on a pump. I'm leaning towards Tunze because I want to hide the mounts as much as possible and their magnets seem to be the best option for that and they move lots of water. I've never seriously looked at these pumps so I'm in need of some recommendations here. Give me some things to look for in Tunze. If there's another manufacturer you think I should look at I'll take those suggestions too.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm real happy with my Tunze 6105's with the controller.
Were you planning on replacing the Vortechs or just adding to them?

I will add these new powerheads and keep the vortechs. To save money I'm thinking of getting constant speed pumps and simply using the existing vortechs to vary flow in the tank.

i made the switch from vortech mp40w to tunze and im never going back. im even gonna buy another tunze for more flow

I would look at the 6105 and look for a used tunze controller. RC has them all the time for some pretty good prices.

@ mcoomer, I think you hit it on the head, a non controllable tunze that will push a decent amount of water 6',
and I would personally avail yourself to the newer design of the larger pumps as well,
these are what I would look at:
T6125_000 Premium Aquatics - T6125_000

and of course im going to ask, are the vortecs set up as a gyre??? :)
which might also mean some changes in rockwerk,
but you could get more ummph from them that way.

Last edited:
and of course im going to ask, are the vortecs set up as a gyre??? :)
which might also mean some changes in rockwerk,
but you could get more ummph from them that way.

They aren't but now that you mention it I could make that happen by simply repositioning one of the pumps. Currently I've got them set to oppose each other in lagoon mode.

Mike

Back