Powerheads for wave makers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trc

I bought a power strip for making waves, it alternates power between two outlets and you can set the duration. A third outlet is random and there are three full time outlets. My question is, are there any power heads, with decent flow, that can operate on this system? I have two Seio 820's but their not recommended for this service and I have them on full time in my 75. I know that Tunze has the system for doing this but I don't want to invest that kind of money in movement at this time.

I've kind of determined that from the threads I've read and I understand that I can upgrade them to push more water. I'm not very skilled at DIY and was hoping someone would have some experience with some other manufacurer. I'm not sure if 300 gph is significant enough to make a difference with the two Seio's running.

trc, you can buy a kit from http://mjmods.com/ that makes the DIY part a lot easier. I bought the high flow kit (supposed to do 2400gph) a while back but havent tried to set it up yet. I just wanted to see how they were made. I also have an seo 820 that I just put on my tank, and it doesnt really do crap for flow. I will be getting new mj12 this weekend and setting this sucker up for surface agitation.

The mjmods company does not recomend the mods on a wavemaker although some people do use them that way. I did alot of research in this area and decided not to do it. Still not sure what I will do :(
Check out the maxi mod on this site...
http://melevsreef.com/2005/10/maxijet-modification-if-youll-take-10.html
It pushes around 400gph and works great on a wavemaker. Also changes direction every time it turns back on!
Greg

I have the maxi jet 1200 and I did the mod on it for my 55g. Let me tell you, that thing ROCKS!!! It pushes water like nothing else I've seen. To tell you the truth it's almost TOO much flow for my 55 and it's unidirectional, I have 2 more power heads for variable water movement. As for putting them (maxi jets) on a wavemaker I think it would be OK, but I wouldn't put the mod ones a wavemaker.

I have 2 mj mods{1200's} in my 120g sps tank and they will move some water. The only bad deal is they are not recommended for using on a wavemaker. They will make some outrageous noise if used that way.

In reviewing the net on this topic, the only problems I've found are them making noise at startup and propellers starting backwards everyother time. I'm wondering if the reason Seio says their not recommended to be run on one, was because they were coming out with a wavemaker of their own and didn't want to lose market share on their new product. Any thoughts?

The seio's shaft will break if used on a wavemaker over time. They are also VERY noisy. The seio controller reduces the powerheads output by 50% and then ramps it back up. This way it will not break the shaft because it is more gentle. It can control only two seios and changes there output together instead of opposite. Some people use seios on traditional wavemakers but again they are very noisy and will adventually break.

had a reefer friend over yesterday and he was remarking about my mj mods. He said he had 2 seios and that every time the power flickers or goes out and when coming back on the seio's regardless will not come back on.

Mine have no MOD 4x MJ 900 work great on my Red Sea wavemaster with NO start up noise and have been using this for over 2 years with no problems.

I have used my regular mj's on the natural wavemaker. It can hold up to 4 powerheads and there is absolutely no noice. I used to use rios on the same natural wavemaker, after they became so well used talk about a racket with them starting up in the mornings.

Back