Pregnant Cleaner Shrimp?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeremyhowe

So I am pretty sure I have a pregnant cleaner shrimp. I have two in my tank, and the other day I noticed that the back part of the one was darker than the other. If you look really close you can see like 150 super small beads like a dark greenish color. Does that mean she is pregnant? If she is will they eat their babies and/or will my clownfish eat the babies? HELP.
-Thanks, Jeremy

Jeremy it sounds like you do have a pregnant cleaner shrimp the lime green egg spawn will move off in 3-4 days?? not to sure here. I think the shrimp eggs float in the water colum like plankton.
I don't know how you would save them let alone feed them. They will be eaten by any coral,fish you have. But I suspect most of them will end up in your protien skimmer.
I hope you get some feed back good luck. Sounds like you have a good system if your cleaner shrimp are spawning...
Jeff

At least in my tank, a couple days after the shrimp molts, eggs appear. Every time. Think it's pretty common. Think of it as free fish food!

Well, shrimps are asexual so if you have a pair you have a good chance of having babies. unfortunately, they are hard to raise and only benefit is to add food for the tank..

correct..you can, but it would be very hard task....I've not known many people that have successfully done this.

As cool as it would be I have to agree with the others. It would be difficult to isolate them to hatch.

I had peppermint shrimp that had eggs, one night after my lights were out, I saw the fish going crazy. I shined my flashlight into the water and saw a bunch of translucent baby shrimp swimming around. My fish ate good that night.

Back