Pregnant Clownfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcvicker

Loony Bin
I have two percula clownfish in my tank and one of them has a "puffed up stomach" there is a silvery sphere causing the distended stomach. Is this a batch of eggs? What should I do? I would like to raise the fry, however I am new to the hobby. Do I pull the fish now and put in isolation tank or do I wait and just pull the eggs? I have read about the feeding and so forth, which seems okay but nothing mentions when to isolate them.
-chris

If you disturb the pair now, the female will most likely not lay the brood. If your going to rear the fry, you will need a seperate tank. Remove the eggs after a few days of being deposited, it does not need to be immediately afterwards. Do you have live rotifers ready and the necessary tank? If not, let this batch go and prepare for the next one.

Once they start laying, it will be quite a regular cycle.

I let Elmo18 give you the nitty gritty...

Cheers
Steve

So how do I tell if my clownfish is going to lay eggs? Will it be obvious where she lays them or will I have to hunt?
-chris

I'm going to need a photo....the signs of egg-laying is an ovipositor sticking out near the bottom of her belly.

Could be bloated stomach....but a photo will help..

Best,
Ilham

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ovipositor will not be easyily visible (or at all) until just before she's ready to deposit the eggs?!? :cool:

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ovipositor will not be easyily visible (or at all) until just before she's ready to deposit the eggs?!? :cool:

Cheers
Steve

Usually out the day she will lay eggs. Sometimes even 24 hours before.

Best,
ilham

Back