probably getting back in. planning tank setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok picked up a swc 160 yesterday in almost new shape for $125. Stand is waiting for the tank to arrive on wednesday night. 24 x 24 x24 cube. I was having two holes drilled in the back. I have the chiller and I have water waiting for it.

Needed
return -probably mag 5 or similar
Some rock- thinking about 2 lbs of live and the rest dead. (really don't want any pests)
lighting- will come in a month or so.
powerheads- don't know for sure yet but to start probably something like koralia's and a wavemaker.

That's a good idea. I was looking at the 1260 but the price was hard to swallow. I was looking for five times flow so this seems right.

Looking at the Chinese black boxes a bit. Probably 30 white and 25 blue that is dimmable. I keep up with the threads. I have seen some with cree and bridgelux. But probably 3 watt running around 2. The ideal would be a few 90 degree reflectors to get the full depth but people say 120 is fine for two feet

I got probably 40 lbs or more of rock for 25 dollars. it was dry and dead at this point which is what i wanted. I just need a couple pounds of live to seed it now. no aptasia or other pests. soaking it now to clean it off.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    36.2 KB
Ok have the tank, stand getting return pump tonight. I am wondering on the external Durso if I can add the verticle pipe on the other side of the wall? (pic below) . also what should I put as far as plumbing in the tank. I would like to keep the water level as seen it the second pic
plumbing.jpg

I would like a strainer straight in the tank but I have two questions. 1. how about surface removal. 2. would it allow the water level to go that low.

I have 2 inch holes and it is looking like 300 ghp is going to be returning water into it. I am considering one of the holes to either be a backup overflow or just return through it.
plumbing2-1.jpg

So I have been reading about doing the Durso through the wall and i am reading that it will be slow because it will be hard to buildup pressure. But I think with two 1" drains i can easily get 300 gph?

Here is another ideaI could do inside of the tank.
plumbing5.jpg

i have the elbow in mine, but thats because the hole was drilled at that level already when i got the tank.
either is fine, you shouldnt get a gurgle as long as theres a 1/8" hole in the pvc lid of the durso.
then going into the sump do this:

Attachments

• 1531sumpsilencer.jpg
    1531sumpsilencer.jpg
    66 KB
why dont you just go through the wall someplace lower after the outlet t of the durso with spaflex?
i would avoid obnoxious plumbing manifolds like you pictured on a topless braceless tank, myself.

Last edited:
I think the cleanest look in the tank would be a 90 turned up with a screen. I'll try without the manifolds. I can always change that easily. (people on Rc warn about lack of surface skimming?)

out of the tank I would like the pipes going straight back and then the plumbing all in the garage. I know it will slow it down but it would look good with just two drain pipes and nothing else.

Last edited:
The stores around here are a bit different from the rest of the world. They get to drive up the the wholesalers and pick the stock they want. no shipping required. they get some good stuff but the good stores are higher in price so it's not anyting like LA Orange county stores.

Back