Problem hooking up ro/di in new apartment..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dtd87

Well we moved and blah blah.. now we want to set up the ro/di to start making water for the 50b. I have a faucet diverter valve but it does not fit into the faucets in this apartment.. Does anyone have an idea on some kind of adapter or something that could possibly fit into the diverter valve AND the faucet? Or have any experience with this?

The plumbing under the sinks are the flexible weaved pipe (silver weaving around it)

I'd really would like to get this set up and need to know if I am screwed.

I can post pictures of the faucet if its needed

Thanks~

look at home depot or lows ect.
They have a splitter meant for adding a dishwasher in a kit for cheap. Get that, and the standard plumbing adapter for it to match your Input line. I think you might even find a quick connect fitting for it online.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Casey

I was just at the home depot and they said I was screwed... Do you have any pictures of what you are talking about?

those flexible hoses have to connect to a real pipe somewhere, I'd put a T tap in, or just a straight chunk of pipe in that you can then use the typical installation to put it on.

While you may not have something that fits on your faucet, there's gotta be a way to stick it in under your sink...

Or, buy a new sink that it will work on - keep the old one so you can put it back when you are done - $20 well spent :D

I got the best picture I could in the space. lol
Ask the guys in the appliance area ;)
and might have to go to the plumbing section to find the adapter you need to attatch it to your setup.
attachment.php

I hope this is what your looking for. all other fittings would be found in the plumbing section.
If this isn't it. let me know what part your having issues with connecting.

I got the best picture I could in the space. lol
Ask the guys in the appliance area ;)
and might have to go to the plumbing section to find the adapter you need to attatch it to your setup.
attachment.php

I hope this is what your looking for. all other fittings would be found in the plumbing section.
If this isn't it. let me know what part your having issues with connecting.

Image is broke :( if I can find out what its called I can go tomorrow after my physical therapy. With this I'll be able to hook it up with my faucet adapter OR I'm going to have to get another sort of adapter to plug the 1/4 inch tubing into?

Last edited:
those flexible hoses have to connect to a real pipe somewhere, I'd put a T tap in, or just a straight chunk of pipe in that you can then use the typical installation to put it on.

While you may not have something that fits on your faucet, there's gotta be a way to stick it in under your sink...

Or, buy a new sink that it will work on - keep the old one so you can put it back when you are done - $20 well spent :D

I don't even know how to do that >< I'm not as handy as I'd like to be.

Last edited:
Sorry, Hopefully this one works. ;)
Image55.jpg

Or are you talking about the tubing coming from the rodi unit?
If you need the end for it to attach to your faucet, I think you'll have to look online or at a LFS in your area. most would have it or be able to order exactly what you need fitting wise.

Last edited:
I have one of these http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/faucet-diverter-valve.html
I used to be able to unscrew the faucet nozzle thing and screw the diverter in, now it doesn't fit this new sink. so I have to find some way to hook up the unit to those pipes.. Should I take a pic of under the sink so you see what I'm working with? Because what is under there is like those silver flex piping in your picture

but with splitting it with that how would I hook up the ro/di?

Dtd87,

That type of connection is great, you can purchase one from Bulk Supply at a great price that will fit you current needs.

Dtech07

Dtd87,

That type of connection is great, you can purchase one from Bulk Supply at a great price that will fit you current needs.

Dtech07

I already have one of those but it doesn't fit to either the bathroom sink or the kitchen, even with an adapter that came with the valve adapter, if that was what you were referring to

Last edited:
The brass valve that I have an arrow pointing to in my pic has a standard fitting in the T.
You can easily get a fitting to attach a shutoff valve to turn the rodi unit off and get a fitting that will let you plumb your rodi into it permanently, or you can add a connector so you can just plug it in when you need it.

another thought is if you get one of the adapters that fits your faucet that would let you attach a garden hose to it, there is a quick disconnect fitting you can get for cheap that you can use with that rather than the diverter. but would mean constantly removing the faucet head.

If I were you I would go with the under sink connection like I use.

Please do take a pic and I can edit it to show where to put what to hook it up ;)

Found what I was looking for on bulk reef supply finaly. lol
John Guest Angle Stop Valve
That will connect to where the braided lines you have connect. you would just shutoff the water to the line, remove the braided hose. attach this where it was and attach the braided hose to it and you connect the rodi in line to the John Guest quick connect fitting.

That will connect to where the braided lines you have connect. you would just shutoff the water to the line, remove the braided hose. attach this where it was and attach the braided hose to it and you connect the rodi in line to the John Guest quick connect fitting.

Devin, +1 to what he said. Just make sure you have 3/8" water lines under your sink. You should but I would hate to see you buy something and it doesn't work.
BTW... Sorry I haven;t responded much the last couple of days. I've been side-railed a little.

Wow that looks to be about exactly what I need! How does one measure those braided lines?

Devin, +1 to what he said. Just make sure you have 3/8" water lines under your sink. You should but I would hate to see you buy something and it doesn't work.
BTW... Sorry I haven;t responded much the last couple of days. I've been side-railed a little.

It's perfectly fine Eric, I hope everything goes better for you in the upcoming days. :D

take a good look at it and go back to home depot and there are only 2 standard sizes that I know of and they are very noticeably different.
Then look at what it is and order the size you need. lol
Or: you can also take the whole line with you and ask someone there what size it is. they would be happy to help I'm sure.

P.S. You'll be allot happier not to have the rodi lines attached to your faucet in view anymore ;) I know I was. I actually got one of these and tapped the waste line to a drain so It's all automated. but if you go that rout, I would highly recommend this as well.
I didn't get that part but after a small flood and subsequent cleanup and loss from the salinity shift in my tank, I found it was a great investment even though I havn't needed it since. lol go figure.

Glad that helped and good luck on the plumbing :)

Casey

take a good look at it and go back to home depot and there are only 2 standard sizes that I know of and they are very noticeably different.
Then look at what it is and order the size you need. lol
Or: you can also take the whole line with you and ask someone there what size it is. they would be happy to help I'm sure.

P.S. You'll be allot happier not to have the rodi lines attached to your faucet in view anymore ;) I know I was. I actually got one of these and tapped the waste line to a drain so It's all automated. but if you go that rout, I would highly recommend this as well.
I didn't get that part but after a small flood and subsequent cleanup and loss from the salinity shift in my tank, I found it was a great investment even though I havn't needed it since. lol go figure.

Glad that helped and good luck on the plumbing :)

Casey

I may have to purchase those in the future, I guess I'll be going back to home depot with this line! And hope I can order this sucker.

~*Finds Change Jar*~

Last edited:
For arguments sake.. could I compare the lines under the sink to the 1/2 inch flex pvc pipe I'm using for my return? If I can then the lines under the sink are definitely are 3/8s

Back