Product recall of stealth marineland heaters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquanaut

I Love Big Torts!
I just received a letter from PETSMART regarding a voluntary recall of Marineland Stealth Sub. Heaters. Contact Marineland Customer Service at 800-338-4896.

If heater is made of all black plastic (not glass) and 100/200/250 watt, stop using immediately and bring to PetSmart for full refund or exchange.

Product also sold in Kits included with 20/29/37/55gallon tanks

Recall due to quality issue and temperature thermastat.

Pass this on and post where applicable
Thank you

A few of us were aware of this already. Here is a portion of the letter emailed to me.

"We're contacting you with important news about your Marineland Stealth PRO Heater. Marineland is investigating quality issues involving the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater line, and out of an abundance of caution, they have stopped selling 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 watt models. If you have questions about this stop sale or to return these heaters under your Marineland warrantees, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-338-4896.

Please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
Remove the heater from the tank "

I called a few weeks ago and they sent me new heaters to replace the ones I have. I have the old ones boxed up and need to call them back so they can send out a call tag for them.

I wouldnt take it back to Petsmart i'd send it back to Marineland to pull from there warehouse stock to ensure that you don't get the same LOT or close to the one you had, plus if you've lost anything due to the heater (like some of us did) you can't receive compensation from Marineland without the heater and if you do it's going to be hard to get.

Dtech07

I called Marineland cust. service and they are replacing them with their Visi-Therm Heaters.
They are shipping them out and when you get them, you put the old heaters in the box and call them and they have the old ones picked up.

One of our fellow RF had the same issue as i did with a heater that cracked and killed off our tank which kicked it back into the NEW tank cycle. They paid him and shorted him some but never once offered him a heater for the one that did the damage. IMHO how a company handles issue like this reflects their business and truly what they think of their "Loyal Customers". As for me MArineland "will not" be a product or brand I purchase, there is to many other Good products made by other companies to choose from. Some time we need to so companies that they take money readily enough why not give back a HIGHER level of service and support especily in these tough times IMHO & PFOTM (personal feelings on the matter).

Dtech07

I called Marineland cust. service and they are replacing them with their Visi-Therm Heaters.
They are shipping them out and when you get them, you put the old heaters in the box and call them and they have the old ones picked up.

Foster and Smith Aquatics is doing the same thing if you got your heater from them. Except, they will also let you choose one other brand.

I cannot remember what company I purchased my Stealth heaters from. I wrote Marineland a couple of days ago. Their response was that these are NOT under recall. HA! They told me I can still keep using them if I am happy with them. I stopped using these heaters after the first post I read about them frying people's tanks years ago. This is really unsatisfactory. So if you call them, do you get a different response? This is crap.

Gina, it's a specific group of Stealth Pro heaters, but not all of them. Did you give them any specifics, that they could use to ID you're particular heater?

Also, it's not a true "recall" in the sense of the word. Here's more information, via Petsmart.
http://petsmart-mail.com/P/v3/Microsite.asp?E=1524;812537;1930616628;25;02&R=T1_ONL&A=1007

Should be able to return it to any LFS that carries their products, no questions asked, IF your heater falls into the category.

Last edited:
I just told them that I heard they were recalling their Marineland Stealth pro heaters. They never asked me anything. I asked them what can be done if anything? I believe I got them from Aquacave. I thought DFS, but they said they cannot find my record. Grrrr

This is what I was sent and got a good response from them
"We're contacting you with important news about your Marineland Stealth PRO Heater. Marineland is investigating quality issues involving the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater line, and out of an abundance of caution, they have stopped selling 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 watt models. If you have questions about this stop sale or to return these heaters under your Marineland warrantees, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-338-4896. "

Well bummer. Thanks for posting this. I just replaced the old heater in my hospital tank a few weeks ago with one of these...as our old one cooked a fish. :'(

Guess I'll work on getting another replacement.

Back