prop tank lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

l337dave

hi all,

setting up a prop tank - I want to do my bit to help sustain the reefs, I think that aquacultured corals have to be the way forward.

I know this isn't a very easy question to answer as I can't say exactly what I plan keep in the prop tank but can someone help me with a lighting rig that will cover most of the bases?

This is as far as I have got: (the tank is 4x1x1ish)

250 MH over one half - I'm thinking 6.5k for growth (can I go lower? I've seen 4k plant grow halides on ebay...)

4 2foot (~100watt total) T5's with reflectors for the other half

and then as time/space/money allows move them onto a 2foot tank with a 150w 20k to colour up.

what's anyone think?

can I split the tank like this?
would this much light bleach any softys that are in there?
should I go for 2MH's at differing heights?
or scrap the MH and go for 4 foot T5's with reflectors?

lots of questions I know but I'd rather get it right from the start.

thanks for any help :D

dave.

Anthony might be awhile so see if this helps any. It may at the very least spark some additional input.

250 MH over one half - I'm thinking 6.5k for growth (can I go lower? I've seen 4k plant grow halides on ebay...)
Stick with average white light for the most part 6500-10,000. the 4's will have too much red.

4 2foot (~100watt total) T5's with reflectors for the other half
Not necessary to have these and the MH so they would be ascetic.

and then as time/space/money allows move them onto a 2foot tank with a 150w 20k to colour up.
The 20k color output is useless to the corals and only a "pleasing" visual aspect to us. This level of blue will also slow down/hamper your prorogation efforts and speed of harvesting. It would only be somewhat helpful to deeper water corals but only marginally I think.

You should also only be propagating a single type of coral at a given time preferably mono species but at the very least genus specific. Do not mix soft with stonies of any kind. Keep Acroporid types only with Acroporids and be wary of the more aggressive species.

As far as the MH vs the T5HO, with a 12" height on the tank I don't think you'll have much problem with the T5's but each should have their own reflector for each bulb. The focused light of MH is still considered to be the better choice as far as I have read.

thanks steve,

The idea of a prop tank has really caught my imagination - I've been doing a lot of reading on GARF and I'm testing a small reverse carlson I've made from PVC pipe to give nice wave action in the tank.

I'm thinking either a 150w Iwasaki 6.5k or 3 t5's (one actnic) if I just went with the MH would I need to the actnic too?

Is there anyway I can work out the cost differance in running the MH vs the T5's over say a year? I'd like to go MH but I'm worried that it will be a _lot_ more expensive to run.

thanks again,

dave.

Cost diffrences

Dave I am tagging along on this i think is a good thread to watch & learn. I agree with Steve on tha statment the Halides are is still considered to be the better choice. The plus's with the T-5 maybe a little lower electricity output and Heat incurred.
But with the Halide you will have 2 x's the life of use with your bulbs and more surface coverage with a single bulb.
Still alot to learn and share...Jeff

As far as wave movment have you thought about some thing like a Ecotech Marine Vortech Propeller Powerhead/Pump or a Tunze system for wave action?

thanks steve,

The idea of a prop tank has really caught my imagination - I've been doing a lot of reading on GARF and I'm testing a small reverse carlson I've made from PVC pipe to give nice wave action in the tank.

I'm thinking either a 150w Iwasaki 6.5k or 3 t5's (one actnic) if I just went with the MH would I need to the actnic too?

Is there anyway I can work out the cost differance in running the MH vs the T5's over say a year? I'd like to go MH but I'm worried that it will be a _lot_ more expensive to run.

thanks again,

dave.

Put actinics out of your mind completely. For this purpose they are useless and offer nothing for the corals, just you. If energy costs are on your mind, stick with light the corals can readily use.

That I couldn't help you with. What I would really suggest is reading the articles on this site to see what kind of lighting is going to best suit your needs and then make an informed decision.
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

thanks for the input everyone - I've come to an informed choice...

I'm going to go with T5's 4 of them in 2 differant units, so either around 110watts or around 220 watts depending. This would be over ~35 gallons at a depth of 12-14inches and would mean a max WPG (for what it's worth) of about 7.5.

One thing I have found that has interested me while looking around are these:

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/860-and-865-Daylight_14

They seem to have the perfect spec for me, and I can have 4 of them delivered for the same price as it would cost me for 1 Interpet etc from a shop. (£20)

Is there something about them that would make them less suitable for my tank? or is it just a case of us (as usual) paying over the odds for something that says 'reef' or has pretty pictures of fish on it?

@The Apprentice

I have rotating powerheads in the tank in the living room, but I'm the kind of person who says 'why can't I do this' to a lot of things so it was just something that I wanted to give a try. I'm not really very close to having it done yet tho! I've managed to alter the duration between the waves (burbles in my case ... :p ) but I don't have enough hands to hold everything under the water to let the air build up longer. I'll be drafting in the girlfriend one evening this week all being well.

anyone know of any links where this system is being used on a small scale? if I could get hold of some dimensions etc that would be a great help to me. :)

thanks!

dave.

Hi Dave the rotating power heads sounds like a different approach? Not sure if your talking about some thing like a power sweep or not? Maybe when you get it adjusted you could post a picture or two :)
Sounds Like a good deal on the T-5 and At 12-14 I believe you should be OK since this is at 220V that might set every thing off a little different than here in the states good luck...Jeff

Depth ratio to the bottom of your tank

Hi Dave on you post above you stated "35 gallons at a depth of 12-14inches" With It being that Shallow and you running the 50Hz 220V T5 lighting I think it would preform quite well.:) You may go thru bulbs faster than Halides :p but It will generate Less heat and you may get away with not needing a chiller.;) It would be nice if you could post some shots of the tank and your current lay out ...Jeff :D

hi Jeff, what do you mean at 12-14? :)

dave.

Back